Restart/shutdown problem

N

Not Bman

I have had my computer run and have it how I want it for a long time now. I'm not to sure when this started but now when I try to restart the computer, or shut it down. It takes a long time. Like, i press the button, and nothing happens. Usually I have to press it like 2 more times untill it does what it is soppose too. What is making it do this, I havent changed anything, I have no clue what could of done this.. Any Ideas?

the first thing i'd check would be the small wires leading from the front of the case to the motherboard (especially the power). make sure they're plugged in all the way. also ensure they're plugged into the correct places.

Umm yea, I dont see how that could be, I checked it anyways and its fine.

Ok, I just remembered that I did something to the restart screen awhile ago. I took away the loading screen, and just showed what loads in the background, like a black screen. I am thinking that is what is doing it. I don't remember how I did it though. Does anybody know this tweak, and how I undo it?

POST, as in Power On/Self Test. That's part of BIOS. If it's hanging there couple of things I'd check:
1) Any add-in cards that may have their own bios (Raid/ata cards)
2) Jumpers set correctly on all IDE devices
3) Bios set to boot from IDE first

no boot screen

Bman™ said:
Ok, I just remembered that I did something to the restart screen awhile ago. I took away the loading screen, and just showed what loads in the background, like a black screen. I am thinking that is what is doing it. I don't remember how I did it though. Does anybody know this tweak, and how I undo it?

The boot screen is i think controled from typing msconfig in the run box and hitting the boot.ini tab and unticking noguiboot box, dont know if this is any help ?
regards
dee

Attachments

• nopostboot.gif
    nopostboot.gif
    28.7 KB · Views: 69
aren't we all on the wrong track here? Bman says his issue is not with the power up, although he may have made a change there, the original post said the problem was in getting the computer to shut down....

Can I make a lateral suggestion, you try here for a little utility that will shutdown for you? I've found it pretty good... or am I missing smethign in what you're after here?

O.k. Had this happen like 5 or so years ago. Let me make sure I get it right.

You unplug from power supply in wall or ext? You then plug back in click power on button on case and nothing, no lights, no beeps absolutely nothing?

If that is the case, I think you have something in a slot that is drawing too much power, thus stopping the system booting in.

Try firstly spring cleaning the whole of the maching inside carefully, getting rid of dust and other nasty stuff like dirt and hair (yes I have found hair in my machine).

Then start off with sound card first slide it out and try that. Could be a faulty card, trying to own more than it should do! Or maybe too many slots full.

wow, I got people realllllllllly mixed up. I started the thread, because when I click the power/restart/ button on the start menu it doesnt do anything, untill i do it acouple of times. Then I said, maybe that is because of something I did to the Loading screen, u know that black screen that says Windows Xp blah blah blah, and has that loading bar like in my signature. Yea I took that away and now its just a blank screen. I was wondering if that tweak I did, slowed down the restarting and stuff......

Does any of this make sense now?????

You said nothing about start menu!
I have included some files that might help you.

Attachments

• Shut-logoff-reboot files.zip
    2.5 KB · Views: 31
Bman™ said:
wow, I got people realllllllllly mixed up. ....
Does any of this make sense now?????

Yeah you did get people confused - but as it happens the idea I suggested might have helped you, I'd have thought. Did you try it? What I am guessing is that you now have a service there that takes longer to time out - there are tweaks to reduce that, I htink they are covered somewhere, there's tasktimeout and another more dangerous one that will kill tasks after a fixed period regardless. These can certainly speed up shutdown, but if something an app needs to save is not filed in time it could also be a casualty, so be warned.

Anyway - the slawdog smart shutdown is safe and free - so why not try it?

umm, I tryed that program, and it dosent help. Takes just as long to shutdown or anything else... It does make sense that its some service taking longer, but I dunno..mmmm

I just did a test, I just relised I have many things running. I usually have Ad-watch,Ghrome,Y'z Dock, WindowsBlinds, and background things running all the time. So I turned off all the programs, except for WindowsBlinds, and it was much faster, and accually restarted. Now I am wondering, is there anyway to stop the programs from slowing this down?

Mmm uninstall windows blinds. Is it a trial or registered?

If it isn't registered and past trial maybe the author made it slow up your system till it's removed or registered!

Yea I was thinking about that. Go back to a patched uxtheme.dll. mmm, let you know if that is what is doing it.....

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back