Resolution

Z

ZedExSeven

Hi,

I've been looking for a while and I can't seem to find an answer to this problem, so i've come to you guys and gals in hope of some advice!

I'm running WinXP Pro and was wondering if there was any way to have different resolutions for different users? It seems like a fairly simple thing but whenever I change the resolution it seems to effect all users.

Any Ideas?

Thanks in Advance

ZedExSeven

This is the way I heard it:

NT/2k/XP are deep down meant to be used in a network enviroment. If the resoultion would be tied to a user instead of a workstation problems may occur:
The user uses a workstation with a Mega Big Super Screen(tm) and sets the resolution to say 1600x1200. Then, the next day, he/she uses another workstation with the old Small Ugly Crap Screen(tm) which totally pukes on the high resolution.

This is why resolutions are tied to the workstation and not to the user.

Clarified?

Yeah, makes sense, gotta keep reminding myself that it was designed for a network environment.

ZedExSeven

It is true what Zedric is saying; BUT

You can tweak around it :)

If you use for example Vidres you can add commandline options to let it start in a different resolution.

If you place such a command in the user's Start Up group the resolution changes whenever that user logs in..

Gert-Jan

Ah you mean like changing res during logon? That's cheating! ;)

Yeah, it is cheating....

But it's just like playing games:

Do you know anybody who has finished a game without cheating :)

Gert-Jan

*bump*
how do i work this program?
i have the same question as the person who started this topic

If you have installed it, read the readme.txt for how to create create and Configuring the shortcuts;

Lets assume you have 2 users;
For User A you want to have a res of 800x600
For User B you want to have a res of 1024x768

Then you have to create 2 shortcuts and place them in the users startup folder (normally C:\Documents and Settings\User X\Start Menu\Programs\Startup)

So what is going to happen is: User a logs in and the programs in the startup folder are executed; including the vidres shortcut of that user.. The same goes for User B

Gert-Jan

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back