reseting laptop bios

nod32

OSNN Addict
I'm fixing a laptop for someone. Every time it turns on it asks for a bios password. Seeing as I can't get into the OS, I downloaded the manual and re-seated the RTC battery. I tried it right after and it still asked for a password, so I figured it must be unplugged for longer. I googled it and it said somewhere that for a desktop pc, it should be unplugged for 20 - 30 minutes to reset CMOS.

How long should i leave the battery out to clear the password?

Oh and he insists he didn't set the password himself, but how else could it have happened? Malware can't do that sort of this can it?

thanks,
Nod32

Ok, so i let it sit for about an hour and the password is cleared :)

...but i get a BSOD on bootup (even in safemode). He said this had happened before the password prompt started coming up, so I know i didn't cause it. Is there anything I can try before reformatting?

edit
ok, so ill just reformat
/thread

Last edited:
Ok, so i let it sit for about an hour and the password is cleared :)

...but i get a BSOD on bootup (even in safemode). He said this had happened before the password prompt started coming up, so I know i didn't cause it. Is there anything I can try before reformatting?

edit
ok, so ill just reformat
/thread

Hey,

Did you try googling the error code given in the BSOD? Or try a repair install?

I know a format is nice every once in a while, but i'm assuming there was no data on the drive that needed backing up?

I googled but nothing solid came out of it, and there was no repair option. He said there was nothing important so i reformatted.

And then it started... I installed xp for him because he says he cant get used to vista. HP doesn't provide xp drivers so i had to find them for everything. Finding the driver for an audio/modem chip was especially difficult.:dead:

I googled but nothing solid came out of it, and there was no repair option. He said there was nothing important so i reformatted.

And then it started... I installed xp for him because he says he cant get used to vista. HP doesn't provide xp drivers so i had to find them for everything. Finding the driver for an audio/modem chip was especially difficult.:dead:

Realtek by any chance?

Has the re-install stopped the BSOD now?

Give up the make / model number - and if you still have some missing drivers let us know, we will find them. :)

No i found most of them by using the device and vendor numbers in system info and then looking them up. The one that was a mess was a Conexant modem/audio combination. Conexant doesn't provide drivers on their site and neither does HP. I had to install UAA, download vista drivers, extract them and force windows to use them. It was being identified correctly but not working. I googled it and other people were having the same problem, and I ended up using some Toshiba driver.

I think the BSOD was being caused by some sort of sata setting in the bios. A legacy mode or something like that for older OS's. It only boots when disabled.

By the way, many motherboards have jumper that will reset the BIOS password, you usually just enable the jumper, turn the mother board on, then turn it off and remove the jumper and the password is then reset.

Although it's probably technically possible to create software that sets a bios password, I would think it likely. However, sometimes when you buy a machine a default password is set, or someone else could have set it possibly as a 'joke' at some point.

Glad you got it all working now !

JPRuss: uuh.... this is for Laptop BIOS's..... and i don't think i've ever seen a standard, easily accessible jumper on a laptop. Usually there's a very tiny reset button on the bottom of the laptop that needs to be pressed with a pen or unfolded paper clip or something.

Also, the computer usually isn't turned on in order to reset the BIOS.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back