Reset Startmenu (Vista)

N

Not Bman

So I was playing around with the start menu, trying to make it how I want. In XP there was always your user account and All Users start menu. I normally would delete everything in my account startmenu and customize the All Users start menu.

Well I tried doing that with Vista and now its all messed up. There are doubles of icons that aren't really there, there are icons missing from links, when a new program is installed the application icon that is suppose to show up in the start menu does not. Basically weird annoying crap.

Is there away to reset the startmenu?

Right click on a blank area, press Settings. Then press Customize... in the new window (tab: Start menu) and choose to use default settings. I think that'll help.

No it does not, that has nothing to do with the icons and folders itself.

Oh ok. Would it be possible for you to post a screenshot of your problem?

Why not just use a restore point before you messed with things?

Holy crap, why didn't I think of that lol. I guess I never have used System Restore that often so I don't think of it. Let me try.

ahh, not a far enough back restore point....any other ideas...i will get a screenshot, not sure if it will help though.

It's not possible to right-click on the icons and remove them that way? I'm asking for a screenshot, as I'm finding it a bit hard to visualise exactly how it looks.

It's a bit harder to get a screen shot of what I want because of what it is. Basically the start menu is fine, just some of the icons don't show up. The other main problem is when I install a new program, and when they ask do you want to add it to the start menu, I choose yes but nothing get's added. That is because I deleted and moved all the icons from the "All Users" or "Explore All Users" start menu folder to the "Explore" or "My User" startmenu.

When doing that in XP, anything new or changed would update with the single Start menu, instead of both. With Vista it seemed to create this problem. I do see how this explaination does not help that much.

I am writing this at 2:30AM right before going to bed, so please allow me to create the screenshots of what I am talking about in the morning, before replying. Thanks.

Not to sound harsh or like a broken record, but backup, backup, backup. For the last several years I create disk image backups every time before I install a program or make any other major change to my systems. I had to twist my brother's arm for years to get him to do the same after all the tech support I had to give him over the phone.

Finally once he called me, told me his situation and asked me what the first thing I would do is, and I said, restore the backup I made right before I did that...

It's such a time and headache saver.

or get a trial version of tuneup utilities and use the many fix functions it has, down side to system restore is it will unchange a lot of things

Not to sound harsh or like a broken record, but backup, backup, backup.

old skool eh? most use CDs/DVD's now :D or streaming media :p

Not to sound harsh or like a broken record, but backup, backup, backup. For the last several years I create disk image backups every time before I install a program or make any other major change to my systems. I had to twist my brother's arm for years to get him to do the same after all the tech support I had to give him over the phone.

Finally once he called me, told me his situation and asked me what the first thing I would do is, and I said, restore the backup I made right before I did that...

It's such a time and headache saver.

I get that, I am the same way for most items. It's just why would you do a major backup when I am basically just deleting icons and files. :nervous:

So all of a sudden it seems to be working again. Acting like it did within XP. Let's hope it keeps it up, I don't know what I did but it's working.

Thanks everyone, I will post back if the problem comes back.

So all of a sudden it seems to be working again. Acting like it did within XP. Let's hope it keeps it up, I don't know what I did but it's working.

Thanks everyone, I will post back if the problem comes back.
Was it a reboot? :lick:

No actually, i was just opening and closing the folders for the startmenu, and it just seemed to refresh. So I installed a program to test and it seemed to be fine. Weird.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back