Reporting abuse to ISP's

Evil Marge

I Rule
Political Access
Can I ask you guy's a question?
I have a shoutbox on my webspace which is being used to insult myself, my son and my daughter (see attachment) and because all posters and visitors IP address' are logged both there and with http://my.statcounter.com/ I know exactly who she is, I have logs and screenshots of every message posted if proof is required.
Is reporting this person for abuse to their ISP worth the bother, do they actually take any notice?

Attachments

• shoutbox2.jpg
    shoutbox2.jpg
    32.7 KB · Views: 94
Last edited:
Is the IP address the same each time? You could prevent access to your site for that IP address using Apache or IIS.

Is the IP address the same each time? You could prevent access to your site for that IP address using Apache or IIS.
Yeah it's the same each time. I've just found out how to ban IP's so that should put a stop to the stupid bitch :mad:

As madmatt said you could block IPs - and IMO there is no harm in reporting abuse to ISPs. I haven't done it myself, and I think the fact of what they do with it varies from ISP to ISP.

Good luck, hope at least the IP ban works out for you, until theirs changes that is :eek:

As madmatt said you could block IPs - and IMO there is no harm in reporting abuse to ISPs. I haven't done it myself, and I think the fact of what they do with it varies from ISP to ISP.

Good luck, hope at least the IP ban works out for you, until theirs changes that is :eek:
Then I password protect it (just learn't how I can do that too) and see how they like that :laugh:

What exactly are you password protecting - your shoutbox? Would this be something they can bypass by registering or something?

Well where I work isn't the sort of ISP you are referencing here but we take all reports of abuse that don't come from spamcop quite seriously.

We tend to ignore spamcop as they send us more false reports and one-offs than usefull ones. Useless to anyone really. Useless to ISPs and useless to the end users since isp's ignore them :)

What exactly are you password protecting - your shoutbox? Would this be something they can bypass by registering or something?
I can password protect the whole site if needed so that only those with the password can access it or post messages.
Thanks for your help guy's :D

It can do no harm, however I've reported all sorts to various ISP's in a good handful of countries, all with varying results.

Good luck if you do report them, though a good ol' IP filter can do wonders too, especially if you want to provide an "alternate" message to certain visitors :p

Where I work I am the primary abuse contact and I take it seriously, though again SpamCop often sends us an email with a single IP in it with no useful information about what its supposed to have done.

If you've got the IP then you can do two things. First find out who owns the network block

http://www.dnsstuff.com/tools/whois.ch?ip=
enter the IP address at the end of that URL then look at the output for any references to abuse contact details.

other thing is
http://www.dnsstuff.com/tools/ptr.ch?ip=
again enter the IP address at the end of the URL, this should give you some information under "Answer" which might help you work out what ISP they use. You can then goto that persons website and see if they have a abuse address.

You can of course just email abuse@somedomain.com and its likely to hit something ;)

Thought you might, I don't even acknowledge this person exists but she keeps pushing herself into my life :ermm: :twisted:

I take it there is some history here of which I am unaware :p

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back