Replacing sound card in 98

scriptasylum

OSNN Senior Addict
I have a dual boot system (98 and XP). I recently pulled out my SB Live! Value card because I was tired of the trouble with it and XP. I then decided to enable the mobo integrated sound. XP had no problems at all; didn't even need a driver.

98 on the other hand will not recognize that there is new hardware. I uninstalled the Creative software, then removed the sound devices in Device Manager, then pulled out the actual card. I then activated the on-board sound chip in BIOS and rebooted. Like I said: XP went fine, but I cannot for the life of me get the sound to work in 98!

I have downloaded the latest drivers from Gigabyte's site (the one for my model mobo of course) with no luck. I have even downloaded drivers based on the actual numbers from the soundchip IC!

There isn't even a yellow exclamation point on any of the device manager items in 98. It's like windows isn't even acknowledging the new hardware at all! The only entries under the "Sound" category is the "wave device for voice modem" since I have a voice modem.

As a last resort, I went into regedit and got rid of all references to "Creative" manually.

I really don't want to reformat and install 98 again and then repair the mbr so I can dual boot again: it's a pain!

Anyone have any suggestions?

If XP does recognize the Creative Sound Card, you may be able to "disable" it in Windows XP, which will force it not to use it.

Then since 98 is blind to the truth that you have an integrated sound card on your mobo, and even have the drivers for it designed for 98, but it will recognize the Creative Sound Card.

According to www.creativelabs.com, they do have XP drivers for the Live! Value. But since I've never owned that type of sound card, I can't say that it will work 100% with XP.

What I would try doing is use the integrated sound card on your mobo in XP, and your Creative Labs card in 98; but it will be a pain in the neck to have to swap your speaker connection from each sound card; you could use an audio switch box to switch them, or if your speakers have two inputs, then you can hook them up to each sound card simultaneiously.

Thanks for the suggestion kc, but it sounds like more trouble than its worth. When I get a new mobo to go with the XP processor i have now (current mobo is an old chipset), Ill be re-installing everything so I'll just wait. Thanks anyway!

n/p, if I think of another idea, I'll post it, but for now, that's the only one that struck me. I've never set up a dual-boot system; I just stick with one OS, but I have four computers; three have 2000, one has XP Pro. I went up to them from 98, 98se, and ME. ME Stunk.

Thanks.

I use 98 mostly for the few games I cannot get running in XP. I really do not want to use win98 anymore, but until I get everything to work, I guess I'm stuck with it.

I have ME, but heard so much bad about it that I never dared to install it. 98 is bad enough; when something crashes, the whole OS seems to go south until a reboot.

The wifes PC uses win2000 cause its a bit slow to run XP (old Athlon SlotA 700 & 128MB RAM, runs, but slow). The kids use win2000 for 3 reasons: to limit their access from screwing up sys files, more stable than 98, and their celery566 is REALLY slow with XP (stupid Compaq junk :mad: ).

I am using a Creative SoundBlaster Live Value card with Windows XP Pro. WinXP has never had even a glitch with the card. The driver version is Creative 5.1.2603.0

I use SB Live! Value as well. Only problems have been getting the quadrophonic sound to work for more than a few days at a time. ;)

sucks eh

Originally posted by Zedric
I use SB Live! Value as well. Only problems have been getting the quadrophonic sound to work for more than a few days at a time. ;)

Wonder if they will ever get this issuses fixed in XP
I have same trouble with quad only works for a few days at a time and if I play a certain game ( demolition racer ) thats it I gotta reinstall the drivers cuz QUAD is gone :mad:

Well, the reason why I want to get rid of the SB card is because in some games, it has a crackling sound (only in XP). I have read some threads that say to try moving the card to a different PCI slot. That does work, but it's a pain in the butt since all my PCI slots are full. Moving the card did help somewhat, but it is still present to a lesser degree in some games. I also have tried various drivers with no effect. Plus, removing that one card gave my GF4 some more room to breathe :)

Anyway, I got the onboard sound to work in 98! I removed all device drivers for the modem, ATA133 card, and Network card. Then I rebooted, removed the cards from the PC, and rebooted. Voila! it found the sound! Then I reinstalled all the other cards, reinstalled their drivers, and all is hunky-dory :)

BTW: I emailed Gigabyte a few days ago with my problem and have yet to hear from them. This will be the third time since I got into computers that I have contacted tech support only to fix the problem myself. The XP-erience.org forum has been a bigger help than any tech support that I have had to deal with to date.

I think that tech support for large companies actually count on the customer fixing their own problems. Thats why they take so long to respond! Its all part of their big plan to do less work.

Congrats on getting the sound card to work. Wait until you try something really fun like linux. :(

I was triple booting Linux (Mandrake 8.3) until I got my GF4 Ti4400. After I put in the new card, Linux would not load. It seems like it is loading fine, but just when it gets to the GUI Logon, the screen goes on and off repeatedly. Pressing the reset button makes it "idle down" like normal. I then read there was some issues with the new cards. Then, since I have a stupid winmodem, Linux will not recognize I have a modem. Plus, I use AOL at home, so there's pretty much no chance of getting online while Im in Linux :(
Oh, well, I'll just wait until I can find time to download the new version at work. Then I'll have to buy a new REAL modem.

Originally posted by scriptasylum
I was triple booting Linux (Mandrake 8.3) until I got my GF4 Ti4400. After I put in the new card, Linux would not load. It seems like it is loading fine, but just when it gets to the GUI Logon, the screen goes on and off repeatedly. Pressing the reset button makes it "idle down" like normal. I then read there was some issues with the new cards.
More likey that XFree86 needs to be reconfigured. Run xf86config to rectify. The standard nVidia driver could work, but I guarantee nothing. The repeated blinking is XFree86 trying, and failing, to start over and over again.

Too late, I removed Linux a while ago now since it was useless for me at the time. I'll just wait until I download either Redhat or Mandrake.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back