replacing motherboard,,what do i need?

failurbydesign

music MUSIC music
Political Access
Im replacing a motherboard today and i have all the parts from the old motherboard, but do i need anything special? Like a when installing the cpu? I have bever done this before and just want to make sure im not leaving anything out!

Just make sure that it supports the same hardware you have, if it does you are all set.

Ah, thermal paste is a good one.

That is the paste that goes in between the processor and the fan. It helps keep it cooler.

Brad said:
That is the paste that goes in between the processor and the fan. It helps keep it cooler.

Since failurbydesign is new you should say between the processor and heatsink!
If it came with a heatsink and fan it may have a thermal pad, which sould suffice.

That is if you don't overclock, but overclocking would also require a better fan/heatsink then the one included.

ok i got it and installed it...but now i can use the restore cd....is there any way..the computer has an xp cd key on the back...but how do i know if that will work on any xp cd?

Edit..i tried an xp cd i had with that key and it worked...even better....

Last edited:
Now check the temperature of the CPU and MB. This is important because it tells you if you got the heatsink on properly.

You can see the temperatures in the bios, usually under a menu marked advanced. Some MB's come with a utility to check voltages and temperatures, or you can download a free utility like sisoft sandra lite that gives you information about your computer andd all it's parts. Mother board monitor is also a free download but it doesn't work with some MB's like the ECS ones I always buy.

CPU temps of up to 45 deg C are ok when the system is idle, 55 deg C when the system has been working hard. It will vary with the type of processor and how good a fan you have. The newer AMD CPUs run 10 deg cooler.

i got that sisoft sandra so what option do i choose to tell me the temp??

motherboard temp 33 C/91.4 F
CPU 1 29 C/84.2 TD
CPU 2 57 C/136.4 F

Is that ok or bad?

MB and CPU1 are great. CPU 2 is high.

Do you have a dual CPU system? AMD X2 or 2 physically seperate CPU chips? If not then CPU 2 may not be a valid reading.

What did you check it with? Bios, sandra, other?

Last edited:
Um, i used sandra and i only have one cpu...at the moment it was insatlling sp2...since the xp disc was old...

Ok, then your temps are good. Just ignore the CPU 2 number. The TD after the CPU 1 reading stands for thermal diode which is a sensor inside the CPU.

Admiral Michael said:
Since failurbydesign is new you should say between the processor and heatsink!
If it came with a heatsink and fan it may have a thermal pad, which sould suffice.

That is if you don't overclock, but overclocking would also require a better fan/heatsink then the one included.

I was going to say heatsink, but I wasn't sure how to spell it.

I'm a failure :(

Now the heetsync thing is sorted out :p

Can I enquire what mobo was being swapped out and what was swapped in? this is a fiarly rare kind of upgrade (it's the most work!) - I am guessing you had a dead mobo - anyway I hope it was a worthwhile chipset upgrade....

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back