Replacing File Type Icons

E-kLiPsE

OSNN Junkie
My apologies, as I'm sure this topic has been discussed already, however I couldn't seem to find the info I was looking for, so I hope someone can point me in the right direction.

I'm just starting to discover the wonderful world of modding. In the past I let StyleXP do all the work to change the visual style, etc, however now I'd like to customize a little further.

I've been reading through the forums and I think I'm going to do away with StyleXP and try using a modded uxtheme, however I'd like to know the best way to replace my icons - in particular all the filtype icons (.avi, .mp3, .doc, etc). I'm assuming this must be a dll file or something that needs to be edited with a resource hacker, but I'm not sure.

If you guys could point me in the right direction I'd appreciate it a whole bunch!

Cheers!

Thanks muz,

I guess I thought all the filetype icons were stored in one .dll or something... apparantly not. I'd already browsed through those threads, but after reviewing them and checking out some of the apps, I think I'll download and use Bee's Icons; it looks like it will be the quickest option. I was just looking to avoid paying for a 3rd party app.
/me is a cheap bastage

Cheers!

shell32.dll holds a good number of the system icons, and in that case I suggest looking for a "shell pack" such as Gant 2. I think I may have listed some shell packs in the GUI thread as well.

Nice, NetRyder. Guess what thread is getting an update? ;)

many thanks Brian... err NetRyder :) Rep points added.
Freeware's great!!!

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back