replacing a Windows 7 laptop HD

crono_logical

Bird Eater
I'm thinking of buying a Win7 laptop. What I'd like to do after receiving it is swap out the 500 GB conventional disk and replace it with a SSD instead, if possible. (The laptop I'm looking at doesn't offer SSD pre-installed.)

I'm thinking this will be a 2-step job, 1) shrink the Win7 partition sufficiently, then 2) duplicate it to the new HD, before installing the new disk. I guess I might need to be careful copying the MBR as well so the new disk can boot properly. I might duplicate the system restore partition as well, depending on space.

But before I attempt this, I'd like to know would the Win7 activation break if I did this? Or anything else break? Would it break after both steps, or would it continue working happily even with the system partition resized? I've not really played with Vista or Win7 much in this manner, so don't know how picky their activation is. At least if I know that it's ok with step 1, then I can repatition the 500 GB the way I'd like if I'm stuck with it.

I'm thinking of buying a Win7 laptop. What I'd like to do after receiving it is swap out the 500 GB conventional disk and replace it with a SSD instead, if possible. (The laptop I'm looking at doesn't offer SSD pre-installed.)

I'm thinking this will be a 2-step job, 1) shrink the Win7 partition sufficiently, then 2) duplicate it to the new HD, before installing the new disk. I guess I might need to be careful copying the MBR as well so the new disk can boot properly. I might duplicate the system restore partition as well, depending on space.

But before I attempt this, I'd like to know would the Win7 activation break if I did this? Or anything else break? Would it break after both steps, or would it continue working happily even with the system partition resized? I've not really played with Vista or Win7 much in this manner, so don't know how picky their activation is. At least if I know that it's ok with step 1, then I can repatition the 500 GB the way I'd like if I'm stuck with it.
the actual activation might have to go into a live verification but you should get through it easily enough once you get human contact which isn't too hard to accomplish

No, unless you bought a laptop with XP downgrade rights.

Have you updated your video drivers?

I am thinking it is the video driver as well.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back