Replacement Batteries

Admiral Michael

OSNN Veteran Addict
So my Dell Inspiron 6400's battery needs replacing. Would is be wise to buy one from Dell directly or though another provider?

Any suggestions?

Hey I have a 6400 and I got a second battery on eBay. A brand new Dell battery, not a generic one, for about 40 dollars. Or was it 30? I got it last November so I can't errrr, remember. But you may want to look and see if your battery is on the list of recalled batteries. Otherwise go on eBay. I'll look to see if I still have the sellers name.

http://www.dellbatteryprogram.com

A few other things are listed here.

http://support.dell.com/support/batteryrecall/index.aspx/en/main?c=us&l=en&s=gen

As long as you can match the part number and verify the auction lists your model - I would recommend ebay. You get batteries for MUCH cheaper!

Ya I was looking at the high capacity 9 cell one and it's like $300 from Dell.

Hey I have a 6400 and I got a second battery on eBay. A brand new Dell battery, not a generic one, for about 40 dollars. Or was it 30? I got it last November so I can't errrr, remember. But you may want to look and see if your battery is on the list of recalled batteries. Otherwise go on eBay. I'll look to see if I still have the sellers name.

http://www.dellbatteryprogram.com

A few other things are listed here.

http://support.dell.com/support/batteryrecall/index.aspx/en/main?c=us&l=en&s=gen

The recall doesn't apply to me. I am interested in who you bought your battery from if you still have there name.

I looked and I can't find it. I will look again. Oh and as for the recall. I realized after I posted that it wouldn't. It wasn't for mine either.

How can you tell the battery is a genuine Dell (or other) Part Number? Cheap counterfeit parts are the rule on eBay, getting a real one at that kind of discount would surprise me.

PS My Toshiba's a year old and I would love to get a cheap 6 cell to replace my 4 sell but I can't seriously trust anything from eBay anymoreand and paying $125 is just not worth it.

Oh because I check the serial and also the seller. There are many ways to be sure just check everything before bidding. But if you aren't sure then buy a new one. You have to remember that a bid will begin quite low and grow rapidly if it is a had to find item or if many people want it. Ya have to find 2, 3 or even 4 auctions hopefully from the same seller or 2 sellers with excellent track records and that have sold these items before. There are many sellers that sell only replacement batteries and accessories for various laptops. This is how I found mine. I had 3 auctions I was watching and one got into a bidding frenzy at the last minute while the one I finally bought got ignored. Otherwise I could have wound up paying a bunch more. Don't go for the first one you see take your time. There are some good deals out there.

[edit] Stay away from the ones that show the item is coming from Hong Kong or China. Those could be counterfeit, but then Dell could have a Chinese company making them.

Last edited:
I would agree - for stuff like that only buy domestic.

Leejend - that's a valid concern, but to further Gonaads' point - you can look for auctions with pictures of the actual item. Look for a picture, verify the pn and sometimes you can get model compatability on the actual auction page. Sure, not always correct, but if you use PayPal to purchase, you are protected. If you receive it and you think it's counterfeit or not as listed/described, you can open a case with paypal to get your cash back or a valid item sent. With recent changes, sellers can't leave negative feedback for buyers anymore, but buyers can for sellers. This is a solid strive in chances to legitimize faith in sellers who leave negative feedback for buyers in spite since they received it.

Anyway, in some cases its worth it if you do your research and homework - assuming the price difference is substantial.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back