Repairing .jpg's

Guybo42

OSNN Addict
Hi all !

I burned approx. a year's worth of pictures to cd a couple of years ago and recently was asked for a certain pic from that cd. The problem I am having is that when I opened the cd in explorer, I was only able to view 5 or 6 pics from the whole cd and all the others were black. I am using ACDsee 7.0, all the information from the properties window is visible ie: size, when taken, resolution etc... but they only show up as black images. I have tried to view them as thumbnails under win explorer and Adobe Photoshop with the same results. Does anyone know of a program that might allow me to repair/recover these ?
I have burned many cd's in the same manner and have never had this happen before.

Hellllllllllloooooooooooooo !!!!!!!!!!!

Hasn't this happened to anybody else before or am I posting in the wrong forum ?????????????????????

Thanks for the suggestion. I have iso buster installed and it never even occured to me to try that one. I forgot to mention that I tranfered all the pics to one of my hd to attempt recovery from there instead of the cd.
I will let you know if I am succesful.

Anything valuable, like pictures, I'd recommend protecting them with Quickpar. It can monitor files you store and fix them if there are errors. I don't know how you might get back the corrupted ones, but I hope you manage to get them back! :D

Last edited:
No, the cd is not scratched. It is in pristine condition. The only time it was handled was during the burn and being put away after the fact. I can't understand why 99% of the pics are not visible. The data used was a 700 mb Sony cd. It was never exposed to sunlight, dust etc... The only thing I can think of is if the cd itself was defective right from the start but it would have been the only one out of a spindle of 50 ! Go figure ....

Did you verify the data after burn or view the entire CD after burn to make sure the burn actually worked?

It does not sound like there is any corruption of the file system or CD. More likely the original data was not saved properly. Not much you can do about that.

Or it was cheap crappy media as most people use and developed a defect in the reflective surface during burning :)

isobuster r cdroller should be able to recover most of the data but it will take time.

All is well that ends well.
I found another cd with the same files on it, guess it pays to be absent minded sometime. I must have seen the folder on the hd and thought I hadn't burned it yet and burned it again. That was a year's worth of pics saved.

Thanks again for all the replies

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back