removing xp and installing Win2k

S

sjp777

I have an older laptop that I installed xp pro on. I have decided I would like to remove XP and install win2k.

It has a small hard drive so I did not backup the previous OS and cannot uninstall XP

Win2k install is disabled because XP is running.

How can I completely blank the primary hard drive and start clean with a win2k install under ntfs?

Anybody?

You'll need to format drive after that install win2k and convert to NTFS ..

Originally posted by Cosmin
You'll need to format drive after that install win2k and convert to NTFS ..

Yes but the question is how do I format the active partition? XP doesn't use a start up floppy like 9x did and a 9x start up disk won't work because it doesn't recognise the NTFS that the drive is formatted in.

I need to get XP off and reformat the drive. How?

Your Win2k cd should be bootable so if your laptop supports booting from a CD, do that. Then just start setup and when it asks you where you want to install it too you can format the partition and install Windows from there. Just follow the directions through setup and you should be able to figure it out.

I've formatted the h/d under dos - this automatically removes the XP Windows directories (along with everything else , mind!). Then you can start fresh with your Win2k install.....

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back