Removing programs from system tray

R

rjack22

I have some programs running in my system tray that don't need to be there. At least I don't think they need to be there. One is my Lexmark printer Scan/Copy program. Why do I need this in my system tray? Why can't I just open the program when I want to use it? Another one is Instant Messenger. I never use this but my son does.

How do you remove (not hide) items in your system tray? I don't want them eating up system resourses. I can right click on them and then select the exit. This removes them until the next boot but not permanately.

With the messenger, if its msn then open it click tools > options > general tab > untick run messenger when windows starts, as for mcafee it should be more or less the same kind of thing, the option will be in settings or options (i don't know cos i use norton) but it don't make much difference because you want it running in the backround to protect you from nasty viruses.

Skazz

Thanks for the messenger tip. The other program is not McAfee or Norton or any other virus program. Its a printer program for my printer.

Ow sorry, my mistake,

Right click on the icon and you should be able to get an option button (i am not 100% sure as i only use a network printer) if not try double clicking the icon to get into the program itself then there will be an option that disables it from starting with windows, if all else fails you can go into the startup menu and disable it > Click start > Run > type msconfig > ok > click startup tab > disable what you don't want to start up

Skazz

Either try that or look in msconfig/startup. You should find it in there.

Spybot here is not only a spyware remover.

Under 'Tools', 'System Startup', it lists your currently running programs Hilighting an entry will usually bring up a pop-up that will explain and advise. You can then delete right from there.

Very cool.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back