Removing LAN Card drivers question.

Heeter

Overclocked Like A Mother
Hi Guys,

To make a long story short, due to network cards dropping like flies on me, my Main File Server is on it's 4th ethernet card. It's an Intel 1000Pro. I am trying to figure out how to remove the other LAN cards that were previously in the Server Tower as the Intel is listed as "Local Area Connection 4" in my network conection listing. I do know that the drivers are probably conflicting as the gigabit card is now dropping the connection frequently, or degrading down to 100Tbase.

The OS is Win2003Server

How do I go about removing the previous drivers?

Thanks in advance,

Heeter

Go into device mangler and click on the other 3 devices in network and click uninstall? Or are they not showing up there?

I'm guessin there not showing as he repalced the cards.

Side Note:
I have a similiar problem with my webcam, same camera, just used on differenet usb ports. It's now listed as Logitech QuickCam Express #4, removing the #4 errors saying there is already a device named that.

Sorry Guys,

Did forget to mention that they are not in the Device Mangler. Not listed there.

Heeter

Last edited:
I am pretty sure you can do this by editing the registry. While it won't remove the drivers itself, it should restore your current connection to Local Area Connection.

First, in the device manager, un-install your current connection.

BACKUP YOUR REGISTRY BEFORE PROCEEDING

Then, fire up regedit, and navigate to the following path:

HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\Network

Delete the "connections" folder in the left pane, and each one you have for multiple connections.

Reboot, let Plug-N-Play do it's thing, you should be all set.

Good luck!

Well I did that, and now my network card was removed completely. Even though I can still get on the net. By doing this, my email server crapped out, as MySQL cannot find a localhost. Hmmm, My two FTP servers are still working though.

I am going to put the reg backup back in for now.

Any other ideas?

Heeter

In regards to your network card being removed completely, you may have to seat it in a different PCI slot for it to be re-detected properly after the registry modifications.

Give that a shot, good think you backed up the registry :)

This maybe silly but have you restarted after removing those entries?

If you look in HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\Network\{randomnumbers}\connection

look at Name, delete the entry at the {...} level that dont correspond to current network connections. Also, check in HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet001 and HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet002 if available.

Hi AM,

I did reboot after each removal/reinstall. As of right now, I still don't have a LAN connection located in my Network Connections folder, but I do have internet/intranet access. As well, my Email Server Database (MySQL) is up and running again. And my Ethernet is still drading it's connection down to 100 from gigabit.

I will go into regedit and see about removing those entries one at a time instead of the whole folder.

Heeter

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back