Removing files that SP1 backed up?

Eck

.user
I've seen a thread on this before, but I haven't had any luck finding it. So now that I'm happy with SP1, is there any way to rid my drive of the files that that SP1 backed up for me?

For starters you can go to add/remove & remove sp11 backup. (not too sure of the proper name.) Then you can get rid of the blue folder in the windows folder. (if you have sp1 slipstreamed) You might need them to replace corrupt files.

There isn't anything in add/remove like that. Only thing close is "Windows XP Service Pack 1" and that will just remove the service pack. And I didn't slipstream it. I tried to, but then once it came up to the first screen with actual color, a few screens before you enter your CD key and stuff, it gave me errors about something not matching with the edition of windows I installed. So I did it the old fashioned way...

You might not have ticked the backup option when installing sp1. You should leave those folders then till you get a working slipstreamed copy.

I deleted all the contents of the blue folders which is where I think Microsoft backs up the uninstall information for all its updates including SP1. As far as I can see as long as SP1 is wroking on your computer you can remove these. They've been removed from my computer for ages and I've seen no adverse effects at all. Except freeing up loads of space

If you are sure that everything is working fine you can delete the folder $NtServicePackUninstall$.
To remove the now invalid entry in Add/Remove programs, go there and click the Servicepack entry. You should get a message that SP can not be removed and you will be asked if you want to remove the entry.
Don't delete the folder C:\WINDOWS\ServicePackFiles that is the Sp1 equivalent to dllcache.

PS: Eck, obviously you have installed SP1 now, referring to previous threads, did you ever find out the reason why the install stopped?

No I didn't yoyo. But as you can see, I built myself a new system. Must've had something to do with either a software or hardware conflict because now everything went fine? Oh well, I'm happy now.

Originally posted by Hipster Doofus
For starters you can go to add/remove & remove sp11 backup. (not too sure of the proper name.) Then you can get rid of the blue folder in the windows folder. (if you have sp1 slipstreamed) You might need them to replace corrupt files.
just to add:
some poeple do have blue folders because of the NTFS.others don't see because they are with FAT32.

In case someone doesn't know the blue colour indicates, that the folder is compressed. If I open the properties of this $NtServicePackUninstall$ folder it says size 217 MB, size on disc 138 mb.

Ahhhhhh... I always wondered what the difference between "size" and "size on disk" was and how the heck they could be different...

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back