Removing applications.

T

the warrior

How do you remove an application that is on your machine and save it. What I mean is I down loaded an application and I want to make a copy and want to save it to a cd.

I hope that makes sense

Are you saying you installed an application, lost the installation exe and want to back up the installed application?

Anything installed probably will have registry keys and files outside it's own directory (like in the sys dir). Unless you install under an app that logs changes to your system (what reg keys were added, what files were added and where) I don't think you can do what you're talking about.

:) More detail bitte

Hmmmm.. Am I able to back the application up, reformat my hard drive then restore it?

Originally posted by the warrior
Hmmmm.. Am I able to back the application up, reformat my hard drive then restore it?

Depends on what it is... for example the game Quake3 would work fine if you did that.

Maybe if you tell us what application you are trying to back up we could give you a little more information. Just for your information... probably 85% of all applications will not work if you copy the directory and restore it. Sometimes even the smallest programs install hundreds of registry keys and a couple OCX files.

I haven't used that in a long time, but why would you want it installed on a system level?

I always thought of it as a seldom used floppy based tool.

This must be a much newer version then, cause it is a pretty chunky program

Just burn the install file to CD-R R/W with your favorite burning utility (even Window's built in burning utility works great by the way).

that was a few months ago, not sure which one it is now. It must be the .exe I'll give it a try on another pc in a couple of days to see if it works. Thanks.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back