Removed NAV 2005, problems...

maffew

OSNN Junior Addict
I recently removed Norton Anti-virus 2005, (huge speed increase) becuase it kept crashing on me. After I removed it, the stuborn error that i had on start up disapeared and boot time was almost cut in half.

Anyway, now that i removed it I am not able to use "search". When I press it nothing happens. ( I'm refering to the search button when you press start. The one with the dog :squareeye)

P.S. Avast or AVG ?

Running XP Pro

AVG.

Download and run Symantecs product removal tool.

What product removal tool?
I searched the symantec site and couldnt find one for 05'

What did the error say? Did it create a log of the error?

You can do as Steevo said and go to www.symantec.com and use a removal tool. I had to use one before about two years ago and it worked great. After you use it though, I would recommend trying to reinstall though. NAV is excellent software once you get all the settings adjusted the way you want them initially. If you still have problems, post back or go to:
http://www.symantec.com/techsupp/consumer.html

If you choose the latter, let us know what the problem and solution was.

Thanks for the response

Skizo:

No errror message comes up. Nothing happens :suprised:

And I noticed another problem:

When I try to watch something on the internet, an error pops up with the folowing message:

Can not create DirectShow player

Im using Firefox 1.0.1
Everything was fine before I uninstalled Norton :dead:

maffew said:
boot time was almost cut in half.
All you would have had to do was go into NAV options, Auto-Protect, Advanced then untick the box that says Load Auto-Protect during system boot and boot time would be like Norton was not even installed.

Try the above process. Sounds good enough...

The error I was refering to was the "stubborn" error at the boot you refered to in your original post.

Oh sorry,

The error was:

"Error: Loader coudn't initialize service"

Explorer didnt start up and logging onto my account took ages.
Had to start explorer through task manager

Im following the steps steevo told me. Will post back with results

In my case "userinit" was cuasing the problem. I dont know what Norton 2005 had to do with it, but the problems gone so im happy.

Almost done folowing symantecs steps...

I appreciate all the help guys

Did everything on Symantecs site, but both problems still present.
Seems my boot time got even faster though.
I used a reg cleaner, found some entries Norton left behind.
Any other ideas?

Maybe run HiJackThis! and post a log...?

I'm not really sure at this point:suprised:

Logfile of HijackThis v1.99.1
Scan saved at 1:17:12 PM, on 19/03/2005
Platform: Windows XP (WinNT 5.01.2600)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 (6.00.2600.0000)

Running processes:
C:\WINNT\System32\smss.exe
C:\WINNT\system32\winlogon.exe
C:\WINNT\system32\services.exe
C:\WINNT\system32\lsass.exe
C:\WINNT\system32\svchost.exe
C:\WINNT\System32\svchost.exe
C:\Program Files\Sygate\SPF\smc.exe
C:\WINNT\system32\spoolsv.exe
C:\WINNT\System32\nvsvc32.exe
C:\WINNT\Explorer.EXE
C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe
C:\Program Files\Winamp\Winamp.exe
C:\Documents and Settings\Matt\Desktop\HijackThis.exe

R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://www.google.ca/
R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://www.google.ca
R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Local Page =
R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Local Page =
R3 - Default URLSearchHook is missing
O3 - Toolbar: &Radio - {8E718888-423F-11D2-876E-00A0C9082467} - C:\WINNT\System32\MSDXM.OCX
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Synchronization Manager] mobsync.exe /logon
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SmcService] C:\PROGRA~1\Sygate\SPF\smc.exe -startgui
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [NvCplDaemon] RUNDLL32.EXE C:\WINNT\System32\NvCpl.dll,NvStartup
O6 - HKCU\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Restrictions present
O6 - HKCU\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Control Panel present
O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\WINNT\System32\msjava.dll
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Sun Java Console - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\WINNT\System32\msjava.dll
O16 - DPF: {14B87622-7E19-4EA8-93B3-97215F77A6BC} (MessengerStatsClient Class) - http://messenger.zone.msn.com/binary/MessengerStatsPAClient.cab31267.cab
O16 - DPF: {8E0D4DE5-3180-4024-A327-4DFAD1796A8D} (MessengerStatsClient Class) - http://messenger.zone.msn.com/binary/MessengerStatsClient.cab31267.cab
O16 - DPF: {B8BE5E93-A60C-4D26-A2DC-220313175592} (ZoneIntro Class) - http://messenger.zone.msn.com/binary/ZIntro.cab32846.cab
O23 - Service: NVIDIA Display Driver Service (NVSvc) - NVIDIA Corporation - C:\WINNT\System32\nvsvc32.exe
O23 - Service: Sygate Personal Firewall (SmcService) - Sygate Technologies, Inc. - C:\Program Files\Sygate\SPF\smc.exe

hhmm... I'm clueless now. Nothing in the hijackthis! log points to any NAV materials at all. Just the basics really. Sorry.

Thats ok.
Not sure what i'll try now.
I can still search if i go into my computer and press Ctrl-F
Mabey ill re-install Windows Media player, or head over to some Firefox forum.
Ill post back if i fix it. :)

Go to
Start-Control Panel_Performance and Maint-Admin Tools-Event Viewer.

Right click in the left payne and save both.
System and Application as text files and post or e-mail them to stelaman2003@yahoo.com

(to those who are concerned, this is my spam-other-work e-mail address and I look forward to busting spammers, so I hope it does get picked up by a spam bot)

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back