removed account - want to 'undo'

greggustin

OSNN Addict
while trying to fix other issues
I removed an user acount, hoping this would help
then learned this 'broke' a game
(ie I learned CD key was assigned to a specific account)
I DID save all settings in some folder somewhere
how do I retrieve it?
and remake the acccount
or am I stuck re-installing everything?

I am about 99.9% sure a user account can't be restored after deleted, unless you are in a domain setting. And, even then, if replication has already occured you might have a bear of a time doing it.

I assume you aren't in that setup however, so you may have to re-install the game. When you do perform this action, try to do a custom installation and install the game for all users on the PC to avoid this headache in the future.

greggustin said:
while trying to fix other issues
I removed an user acount, hoping this would help
then learned this 'broke' a game
(ie I learned CD key was assigned to a specific account)
I DID save all settings in some folder somewhere
how do I retrieve it?
and remake the acccount
or am I stuck re-installing everything?
If it's attached to that username you *could* recreate that user account and put everything back the way it was. However, more likely it was tied with the SID which will be different regardless of the name in which case I don't think there's anything you can do.

Just out of curiosity (not a gamer myself) but does this happen often? Do games tie themselves to particular accounts versus functioning for all users?

Also, can't you just re-install the game and since you have all the 'settings' (by which I hope you mean user settings and saved games) just overwrite the new files?

User accounts are tied to the SID on a local machine basis. The only environment a user account would be attached to a name is when there is a Domain Controller that houses ADUC.

kcnychief said:
User accounts are tied to the SID on a local machine basis. The only environment a user account would be attached to a name is when there is a Domain Controller that houses ADUC.
So you're saying the username is not attached to the SID...which is exactly what I was saying. The SID of the new account would be different regardless if it's the same username or not and I highly doubt he's setup on a domain. ;)

Yeah I knew you were saying that, was just confirming ;)

Never know, I have a domain at my place and am down to 2 member clients :s

I have to ask, OT I know sorry Greg but...kcny, why are you running a domain controller at your home? I'm in study for my MCSE exams and my dual optiplex boxes are seperate and on a domain of their own purely for my tinkering and for practice, but my desktop is not connected to them at all--no benefit for me. Why do you run a domain? Is it for giggles? I'm just curious...not trying to be all inquisitive and in your business. :)

Yup, pretty much for giggles. I want to be able to control wether Erica can change her background through GPO :smoker:

It's cool to play with, until I hit a point where it's hindering performance or causing problems, I won't take it out. I love it actually :)

GPO is nice when needed, but I don't really have any use. My wife prefers my thinkpad over the desktop unless she wants to play a game. =)

Alright, enough hijacking! =)

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back