Remove windows 2000 question?

sboulema

OSNN Veteran Addict
I have windows 2000 installed on my c: partition and i have XP installed on my h: partition. The problem is that i would like to remove the window 2000 partition. How can i remove the partition and still be able to boot to windows XP?

can you please tell me exactly what i have to do with partition magic. I tried it once with PM to remove the c: partiton and to add the free space to H, but i always ended up with windows xp not able to boot

Once you have moved C into H & pm has made all the changes. Reboot with pm floppy disk 1 inserted. It will then ask for disk two. Once at the screen right click on H drive & set it 'active'. Reboot. I'm not too sure how that will affect xp - changing the drive letter from H to C.

C: is the Boot Partition and can't be removed. I have tried to but not with PM.
All I could do was reformat after adding a new hard drive, making the new one the master C: with a clean install. I then transfered what I wanteed from the old drive before reformating it.

hmmm thanks for the replys but it looks like i have to format :(

DO NOT CHANGE XP DRIVE LETTER (H) AND DO NOT REMOVE/FORMAT BOOT PARTITION (C)!
it will screw WindowsXP.
You first need to remove 2000 manually from C drive leaving the machine boot files intact (present in the C root).
Read here:
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q103049

Remove then the Windows2000 boot entry from the boot.ini file (always on C root).

Then you can use Partition Magic or similar to reduce C drive size and add it to WinXP H drive so you don't waste all C freed space.

...and be very VERY careful (backup)!!

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AndersonLo
Back