Remove WGA Notification Tool

kcnychief

??? ??? ?
Political Access
RemoveWGA enables you to remove the Microsoft "Windows Genuine Advantage Notifications" tool, which is calling home and connect to Microsoft servers every time you boot. Futures updates of this notification tool will (officialy) setup the connection rate to once every two weeks.

Once the WGA Notification tool has checked your OS and has confirmed you had a legit copy, there is no decent point or reason to check it again and again every boot. Moreover, connecting to Microsoft brings security issue for corporate networks, and privacy issues for everyone. It is also unclear which information are transmitted (Microsoft published an official answer, but an individual study brought some questions). All of that, along the fact that Microsoft used deceptive ways to make you install this tool (it was told you it was an urgent security update, whereas it is a new installation giving you no extra security) makes me calling this tool a spyware.

Also, Windows Genuine Advantage Notifications is different than Windows Genuine Advantage Validation. RemoveWGA only remove the notification part, phoning home, and does not touch the Validation part. As the time I'm writting this, the Validation part is mandatory for some not critical downloads from Microsoft, but the Notification part is not mandatory at all, and you are able to install all of the security updates without installing this one. This may change in the future thought, I don't know what are the Microsoft plans.

removewga.gif

I disagree with the usage of this tool. Removing WGA potentially violates EULA agreements (looking into this). It also helps those who are using illegitimate copies of Windows to get around it.

Not true.

This only helps to remove the previous version, which was "dialing home" excessively.

I wreckon upon the next visit to WU or through AU being configured, you would be prompted to install the version that does it on a bi-weekly basis.

The latest version of WGA is the one with the "dialing home" problem. I posted the news on it a few weeks back.

The tool above removes IT and not a "previous" version. There was no previous version of the WGA Notifications Application.

WGA Information: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/905474/en-us
More Information: http://www.microsoft.com/genuine

Furthermore, there is a difference between the Validation tool and this WGA tool (as stated in your article).

Last edited:
I guess that "p0wns" me then ;)

The tool referenced only removes the Notification aspect though, not the validation aspect.

i like to wear shorts when i go to the beach, but i hate anything that pops in my tray, (even if this doesnt im getting the app lol)

I disagree with the usage of this tool. Removing WGA potentially violates EULA agreements (looking into this). It also helps those who are using illegitimate copies of Windows to get around it.

There is no good reason as to why there needs to be a tool installed on any Windows PC that can call home each time it is booted. This tool only removes the calling home part, and while it may break an EULA, customer privacy is more important than Microsoft's tool calling home.

Although I disagree with you and the use of this tool I am not going to argue my P.O.V. with anyone. I personally do not have a problem with Microsoft checking in with my computers or server to make sure my copies of Windows are on the level.

I agree with matt and will b!tch slap anyone who disagrees. Even if he happens to be proven wrong. Which will never happen.

Now gimme some cookies.

:smoker:

Fwiw, tools like this are designed for a purpose and I'd rather not consider facing lawsuits or any other EULA violations that may potentially invalidate my LEGIT copy for the sake of a faster load or the dubious "security risk" offered by the dialing in.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back