remove login option for a user

F

flick

I'm looking to remove the option for one of the users to login, but not delete the account. So insted of 2 users and icons being shown at startup, only one is shown, and the other hid.

I was able to do this with MS powertoys, but was wondering what the XP setting was to chage that without using power toys.

thanks

hmm. I'm not quite sure you can do that without using the powertoys.

yeah, I'm not too sure either. I was playing around with gpedit.msc and trying to find it there but couldn't.

I was under the impression that the tweakUI was just an easy way to change "hidden" XP settings. could be wrong though, it's happened before.

It's easy...

1) Open up regedit.exe
2) Go to:

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\
CurrentVersion\Winlogon\SpecialAccounts\UserList]

3) Add a REG_DWORD (DWORD Value) and give it the name of whatever account you want to hide.
4) Double click the key and set it to 0 (if it is not already set to 0).

Now, the account will not appear anywhere, except:

1] when no users are logged on, if you press CTRL+ALT+DEL 2 times, you can type in the account name and password and log in
2] if your logon screen type it set to classic (Windows 2000), users can be typed in and accessed this way.

However, for basic users, nobody should be able to access the account.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back