Remove "Brilliant software" from Kazaa

patrick

OSNN Addict
A California-based digital advertising technology company, has been distributing its 3D ad technology along with the Kazaa software since late last fall. But in a federal securities filing Monday, the company revealed it also has been installing more ambitious technology that could turn every computer running Kazaa into a node in a new network controlled by Brilliant Digital.

Full Story : News.com

I mean how many people read the agreement before they install something?
Read the full story... it's bad... they are just a little off taking over our entire computer...
I'm sure there must be laws about this type of thing...

Brilliant's software can be disabled or removed after installation without affecting Kazaa's performance

Any ideas how to remove this stupid software from Kazaa?

Patrick

You will have the ability to disable it once it is actually "turned on"

As for legality..thats the thing..noone reads the agreements therefore you make it legal..And it's the price you pay to use their software

I don't like to defend companies actions but everyone wants everything free. you don't want their 3rd party software installed, you don't want their ads, you just want to use there program free and be able to download whatever you want...

remember, they have to make money somehow to stay alive :p

Well I've seen programs to disable adds completely but haven't used them for the same reason as what you have stated.

But,
I think it is a completely different story when they try and use my bandwidth, resources and my proccessing power (especially since I have already devoted my idle proccessing time to running programs such as UD and Seti), to a task cnet describes as "not neccissarily being in our best interest", when all I wanted was a simple file sharing program!?
After all... it can be described as nothing other than a trick to cheat people away from the free use of their computer by proccessing information for this ironically named "Brilliant" company.
IF however they clearly state their cause, effect, and give us the option to run it or not BEFORE my computer is "switched on", then I will take back my accusations.

Patrick

but, by agreeing to that, u have stated that you have read the terms and conditions and you agree with them ALL. thats part of the BS that comes with the software

Brad

BDE Romover

Brilliant Digital Entertainment Remover & Ads

1. In the Windows Control Panel, select an option called "Add/Remove Programs."
One of the options will be "b3d Projector." Highlight this and click the "Change/Remove" button.

You may get a message that the uninstall has been successful.
Search your computer for a "BDE" folder, which most likely will be found in the "WinNT" or "Windows" directory.
In this folder will be a file called "bdeclean.exe". Run this to finish the first part of the process.
Delete the BDE folder.

Caution: An unrelated piece of software called Borland Database Engine also creates a BDE directory.
If you think you may have this software installed, or if there is any confusion whatsoever, do not delete this directory.

2. In the "Temp" directory (this will normally be found inside the "Windows" or "WinNT" directory)
is a folder called "Brilliant." This contains many files. Delete the entire folder.

3. After performing steps 1 and 2, you will need to locate and remove some
additional Brilliant Digital files that have been placed in critical system-level
computer directories. CAUTION: Deleting the wrong files could interfere with the
normal functioning of your computer. These files will most likely be in the
"WindowsSystem" or "WinNTSystem32" folder:

bdedownloader.dll
bdedata2.dll
bdefdi.dll
bdeinsta2.dll
bdeinstall.exe
bdesecureinstall.cab
bdesecureinstall.exe
bdeverify.exe
bdeverify.dll

Delete these files.

4.Search for a file called (Hosts) with no extension.
open with notepad then at the end add the following commands

127.0.0.1 www.brilliantdigital.com
127.0.0.1 desktop.kazaa.com
127.0.0.1 shop.kazaa.com
127.0.0.1 www.bonzi.com
127.0.0.1 www.b3d.com

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AndersonLo
Back