Remotely logging on to my work pc from home?!

lancer

There is no answer!
Political Access
How do i do this, i can log in to my home pc from work because i have a regular ip address, but at work i only have a local 192. address, how do i log in to my work pc from home?

my work ip is: 192.168.1.78, i know my works external ip address.

If you have the ability, you just have to forward the necessary ports on your router to your IP of 192.168.1.78, and ensure RDP is enabled.

Else you can connect in through VPN, then you should be able to resolve/ping your PC.

Most corporations don't allow that type of functionality though unless you have a valid business reason.

oh ok, well my it guy isn't here, so i'll have to wait until friday to ask.

What you may end up getting is questions as to why you would want to do that, and then a suggested alternative to accomplish your tasks.

Violating policies enforced by IT though can generally lead to termination.

If it's something they won't do or won't allow, I would strongly recommend not doing it.

oh ok, well my it guy isn't here, so i'll have to wait until friday to ask.

You dont have to wait until Friday to ask dude I access my computer from home using LogMeIn.com. Believe me it will do wonders for you. All you have to do is register an account from LogMeIn.com and install the client from the site onto the device you want access from. From there you will be able to access that device through LogMeIn.com's web access feature which as mentioned before allow you to get onto the device from anywhere you want. I have been using it for the past year now and it is great. Hopefully, it works for you too. Hope this helps.

You dont have to wait until Friday to ask dude I access my computer from home using LogMeIn.com. Believe me it will do wonders for you. All you have to do is register an account from LogMeIn.com and install the client from the site onto the device you want access from. From there you will be able to access that device through LogMeIn.com's web access feature which as mentioned before allow you to get onto the device from anywhere you want. I have been using it for the past year now and it is great. Hopefully, it works for you too. Hope this helps.

Id yell a lot at one of my end users for doing this. Talk to your IT and give a valid buiness reason why this would help. Inquire about VPN access as well.

I agree with KC and VenomXT, get permission first. If you have a valid reason then go for it, if not it isn't worth risking your job for.

EDIT: I meant go for it as in ask the IT people. Not go ahead and do it. Just wanted to clarify.

Last edited:
One thing that should yet again be stressed and pointed out, this ISN'T a personal PC. While suggestions a few of you have pointed out may work, although if their IT department is worth their salt, it won't - these would more than likely violations of Security Guidelines. These are guidelines everyone read/signed when they were hired, and could cause him to lose his job.

Keep that in mind ;)

My IT guy wouldn't mind, its really just so i can start processes, so they can run overnight, as sometimes i cant do it before i go because other processes are going on. But KC and co are right i'll ask my IT guy first. Also i don't think i would trust logmein at all. sorry but you've just given over complete control to a company. no thanks. great idea in principal, bad idea security wise.

I edit my post to add this:

EDIT: I meant go for it as in ask the IT people. Not go ahead and do it. Just wanted to clarify.

Just want to make sure you understood what I meant.

If your need is to run services/tasks, you could use the Windows Task Scheduler or write scripts to run one after another

ooooooooooooh woops sorry about that maybe next time i'll read it thoroughly to make sure what i'm talking about.........sorry

no probs and thanks all, and ck i just don't know enough about scrips, i basically have to transfer files across the network then log in to our remote server via ot shh transer agent, then start the upload, no idea how to script all that!

Just out of curiosity, what do you want to access and do from home?

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back