Remotely logging on to my work pc from home?!

lancer

There is no answer!
Political User
How do i do this, i can log in to my home pc from work because i have a regular ip address, but at work i only have a local 192. address, how do i log in to my work pc from home?

my work ip is: 192.168.1.78, i know my works external ip address.

kcnychief

█▄█ ▀█▄ █
Political User
If you have the ability, you just have to forward the necessary ports on your router to your IP of 192.168.1.78, and ensure RDP is enabled.

Else you can connect in through VPN, then you should be able to resolve/ping your PC.

Most corporations don't allow that type of functionality though unless you have a valid business reason.

kcnychief

█▄█ ▀█▄ █
Political User
What you may end up getting is questions as to why you would want to do that, and then a suggested alternative to accomplish your tasks.

kcnychief

█▄█ ▀█▄ █
Political User
Violating policies enforced by IT though can generally lead to termination.

If it's something they won't do or won't allow, I would strongly recommend not doing it.

synical33

X2 & Lovin' It
oh ok, well my it guy isn't here, so i'll have to wait until friday to ask.
You dont have to wait until Friday to ask dude I access my computer from home using LogMeIn.com. Believe me it will do wonders for you. All you have to do is register an account from LogMeIn.com and install the client from the site onto the device you want access from. From there you will be able to access that device through LogMeIn.com's web access feature which as mentioned before allow you to get onto the device from anywhere you want. I have been using it for the past year now and it is great. Hopefully, it works for you too. Hope this helps.

VenomXt

Blame me for the RAZR's
You dont have to wait until Friday to ask dude I access my computer from home using LogMeIn.com. Believe me it will do wonders for you. All you have to do is register an account from LogMeIn.com and install the client from the site onto the device you want access from. From there you will be able to access that device through LogMeIn.com's web access feature which as mentioned before allow you to get onto the device from anywhere you want. I have been using it for the past year now and it is great. Hopefully, it works for you too. Hope this helps.
Id yell a lot at one of my end users for doing this. Talk to your IT and give a valid buiness reason why this would help. Inquire about VPN access as well.

Admiral Michael

Michaelsoft Systems CEO
I agree with KC and VenomXT, get permission first. If you have a valid reason then go for it, if not it isn't worth risking your job for.

EDIT: I meant go for it as in ask the IT people. Not go ahead and do it. Just wanted to clarify.

Last edited:

kcnychief

█▄█ ▀█▄ █
Political User
One thing that should yet again be stressed and pointed out, this ISN'T a personal PC. While suggestions a few of you have pointed out may work, although if their IT department is worth their salt, it won't - these would more than likely violations of Security Guidelines. These are guidelines everyone read/signed when they were hired, and could cause him to lose his job.

Keep that in mind ;)

lancer

There is no answer!
Political User
My IT guy wouldn't mind, its really just so i can start processes, so they can run overnight, as sometimes i cant do it before i go because other processes are going on. But KC and co are right i'll ask my IT guy first. Also i don't think i would trust logmein at all. sorry but you've just given over complete control to a company. no thanks. great idea in principal, bad idea security wise.

kcnychief

█▄█ ▀█▄ █
Political User
If your need is to run services/tasks, you could use the Windows Task Scheduler or write scripts to run one after another

lancer

There is no answer!
Political User
no probs and thanks all, and ck i just don't know enough about scrips, i basically have to transfer files across the network then log in to our remote server via ot shh transer agent, then start the upload, no idea how to script all that!

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Perris Calderon wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Ep, glad to see you come back and tidy up...did want to ask a one day favor, I want to enhance my resume , was hoping you could make me administrator for a day, if so, take me right off since I won't be here to do anything, and don't know the slightest about the board, but it would be nice putting "served administrator osnn", if can do, THANKS

Been running around Quora lately, luv it there https://tinyurl.com/ycpxl
Electronic Punk wrote on Perris Calderon's profile.
All good still mate?
Hello, is there anybody in there? Just nod if you can hear me ...
Xie
What a long strange trip it's been. =)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Poseeut