Remote Help

pcxgamer

OSNN Junior Addict
I have a cable connection at home, and I'm behind a linksys router
I have a server that I use for storage and I would like to make it accessible from the internet for friends and family. I needed to know what would be the best way to go about doing this. I had thought about FTP using IIS 5 the server has XP pro but was unable to setup the FTP I'm not familiar with IIS and would need a little help.

Thanks for any help

no problems, if u still having problems ask again :)

since I have cable model and My ip address is always changing I saw the post you pointed mt too and I found the web site dyndns.org and signup for an account. The question I had was what service do I use of there's is it Dynamic DNS or Static DNS.

Thanks

i think cable has dynamic ip. unless it's specifically stated in contract that it should be static. also all that dyndns.org does it gives u an application that u always run. and gives u a domain like www.pcxgamer.dyndns.org, i really dont remember the format and the program that they give updates your ip with their server so that www.pcxgamer.dyndns.org is being redirected to your ip. u can go with out it ofcource and just give out your current ip when u need it. that's what i do now.

would you happen to know if apache web server will run on XP PRO

no i dont know anything about that. it theory there shoudnt be a resong for it not to work. wait for some one else who knows more about it to come though

I also run a intranet at home just something I play around with which server do you think would be the best IIS 5 or Apache?

IIS is more *patched* than apache but offers more features such as HTTP, HTTPS, FTP, NEWS, SMTP and Internet Printing Server while as I said before Apache provides only HTTP services.
Although IIS is less secure by default if you don't know how to deal with it, with IIS you can restrict and integrate authentication with Windows accounting which is good for an intranet... means it can allow browsing only to authenticated windows network users preventing all access from the outside with just one click.
Obviously you can use only just one component of the Internet Information Services suite.
Overall, if you want to play around with a web server IIS is simpler to make it work than Apache, but you need to stay constantly updated with the latest patches against critical vulenrabilities and internet worms and be very very careful leaving ONLY the IIS components you actually need.

Finally IIS has ASP/VBScript as the default programming language and supports .NET framework (which are not supported by apache), while both support the installation of development environments like Perl (cgi), Javascript and PHP.

Apache needs the SP1 from Microsoft right, is it for security reason or performance reason that it needs SP1

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back