Remote desktop..

C

clitoxic

Is there a simple and detailed guide on how to setup a remote desktop? ive got everthing installed to make this possible...however i dont understand some of the options and what to do with them....i want to be able to host my computer so that my brother (in another town) can be able to access my computer..

any site/explanation is greatly appreciated

There's really no configuration need on the "server" side as long as it's accepting connections...

On the "client" side the options are pretty much to set up the connection depending on speed...

For example I'm on dsl and my fathers on Dial-up... When I take control of his I have it set:
Display:
800x600
256 colors
Local Resources:
do not play
Experince:
custom (no check marks)

When I connect to my computer I leave everything default and it works fine, even from a dial-up...

Hope that helps some...

Lonman beat me to it...

whats this option "Select remote users" ...now this is where i become stumped....when i click on add...is this sorta like making an account for someone to log onto my computer? what do i type under 'object types' and 'locations'

The easiest way would simply be to set him up an account with a password... Any administrator account with a password can connect remotely...

Go into your control panel. Under user accounts > "create a new account". Type the name, administrator should already be marked, then click create account... This should take you back to the main user screen. Then "change an account", click on his name, then "create a password" have him pick or give him a password. confirm it then click "creat password".

If he lives close he can now use your computer physically too...
You might want to log into his desktop and change the theme. Classic with 256 colors and no background will connect the fastest...

Thanks again man....was this all suppose to be done under the administrator account? and would i have to use the vpn (virtual private network) option?

You would have to set up his account from under administrator, And I believe you'd have to make him one too... You would'nt need vpn but I just remebered if you don't have a static IP he's going to need a way to find your computer...

I installed DNS2Go on my fathers computer for that... It's a very good program and since it set the computers time auto matically he does'nt seem to mind it... In the "compute"r box of remot connection he'd simply type www.whatever.d2g.com and he'd conect to your computer...

Thanks alot! I got it working man thanks! Appreciate your time and patience!!

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back