Remote Desktop Question

Heeter

Overclocked Like A Mother
Hi Guys,

Can a Client Computer download/upload from a host computer using remote desktop? Can a client computer start/stop programs on a host computer using remote desktop? Does a VPN need to be setup in order to use Remote Desktop?

Thanks,

Heeter

Hahaha,
I got the picture.

Thanks a million, bud

Heeter

Re: Re: Remote Desktop Question

Originally posted by Enyo
Only one and a half of your answers are correct cpugeniusmv.

Yes. But under 2000 you need ts drop copy. 2003 will map the drives.

http://www.analogx.com/contents/download/system/tsdc.htm

Yes, you can do just about everything you can do while physically sitting at the remote system.

No. It can be used directly over the internet without the need for a VPN connection. You just need to expose TCP 3389 to the internet (i.e open the port on the firewall).

i wasn't sure about the VPN...i guess there was a firewall inbetween the computers i tried it on...

For XP, will I need TSdrop Copy? Will XP map the drives?

For a more secure connection, Which shall it be? VPN or Port3389. I do realize that the remote user still has to input a Username/Password. But I guess that I am more worried of the connection itself, once it is established between to Host and Client machines.

I did forget to mention that both Host and Client are using XP.

In a VPN environment, can a client machine map a shared network drive, or is that shared network drive only available through remote desktop?

Can an XP Client remote desktop a Linux Host?

Thanks for all your help so far guys.

Heeter

BTW,

Thanks for the link, Grimman.

For now, I will try to avoid purchasing/installing extra software if possible. If Remote cannot do what I would like, then I will reconsider.

Heeter

^^What he said^^^:cool:

Just FYI, I found this tweak whilst looking for a solution to
another problem in a different thread.

It may, or may not prove useful to anyone here, but you never know...;)

Works for XP Home & Pro, but not Tablet or Media editions.

You can use the Remote Desktop feature in Windows XP Professional to connect to your computer from another, remote computer. WARNING: The Remote Assistance feature in Windows XP may not work properly if you change the listening port. To change the port that Remote Desktop listens on:

Start Registry Editor (Regedt32.exe).

Locate the following key in the registry:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\TerminalServer\WinStations\RDP-Tcp\PortNumber
On the Edit menu, click Modify, click Decimal, type the new port number, and then click OK.

Quit Registry Editor.

NOTE: When you try to connect to this computer by using the Remote Desktop connection, you must type the new port.

Update: I forgot to inform you that you need to add this to the default.rdp file for the XP terminal client... Add this line anywhere in the file.
server port:i:your port number
ie server port:i:21

Lifted shamelessly from TweakXP.com :p

this is a dumb question, but i know some people that eneble remote. meaning they dont enable the allow users to ****ect remotely or something.

just an FYI. i ve people do that :)

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back