Remote Desktop Printing

Jh368j

OSNN Newbie
I am running Windows 2003 server. I have users that remote desktop to the server with Windows XP and 2000 Pro. The users running Windows XP have no problem with local printer linking up in The remote desktop session but my 2000 pro users local printers will not link at all. Any suggestions?? Thanks

Need more information.

Is the RDP connection being setup the same (connect local device - "printers")? Are the drivers loaded for the W2K workstations on the server?

Yes printers has been selected for mapping. Driver are loaded for both. there is something with w2K that RDP doesn't like. I even tried connecting RDP on a citrix server we were using and it still didn't map printers. that one is running windows 2000 server

In the Event Viewer on the server do you see any print driver mapping errors?

MadMatt asked, but I don't believe you answered. You should create a Terminal Services connection on the 2003 Server itself, and then deploy that connection with its settings to ALL clients. This is the only true way to isolate with Operating System in mind.

If that's the case, make sure you check the Event Viewer like MadMatt said, look in the System and Application logs and report what you find.

Have you tried sharing the printers (I assume they are attached to the server) and then adding a network printer to the users who log in? (If that makes sense!)

Edit: Just ignore me, I don't read the posts! :p

Last edited:
rushm001 said:
Have you tried sharing the printers (I assume they are attached to the server) and then adding a network printer to the users who log in? (If that makes sense!)

That brings up a good point actually, are you mapping with the XP clients by checking the box to connect to printers, or are you using scripts?

From what I gather, they are locally connected printers, to the client workstations.

madmatt said:
From what I gather, they are locally connected printers, to the client workstations.

Ah yeah, I missed that detail. Stupid me and my skimming of posts :)

EDIT: probably off topic, but can users who normally use 2K machines, use an XP machine and login successfully? Might be a permissions issue.....like I said it's a long shot but something to consider.

Thanks for all the reply so far, I'll try some of the sugesstions out and I'll post the results.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back