Remote Desktop - Ports - Nat

D

DarkArcher

I wish to use remote desktop functions of xp to access a friends box thru my nat gateway and to also control my own computer which sits behind nat gateway.

Do i need to open port 3889 i think it is for remotedesktop to work?

If you have successfully configured this type of connection...please let me know.

thanks
:)

3389 is the default port, but that can be changed if needed with a bit of configuration on the hosting and client machines.

I

used the default port for the mapping in my cisco router. This is my entry:

ip nat inside source static tcp <local address> 3389 <routable IP> 3389 extendable

Here's what it looks like on my Cisco PIX 520 at work:

conduit permit tcp host <Outside mapped IP*> eq 3389 any

Odd how different they are, considering they are based on the same NOS. If I had to do it over again, I might have gone for Checkpoint or (now that it's available) ISA server.

*Which is mated to an internal IP earlier in the config.

I

have IOS version 12.1 on my Cisco router. Any Cisco router that I have ever worked on so far have had this type of mapping. Perhaps it is different on the PIX (are those only hardware firewalls or do they route?) I have never worked with PIX's, only Cisco routers and switches (catalyst).

Firewall/NAT system that can handle a pool of external IPs (as in our case) and map/share them as needed to the internal network. I only got familiar with the Cisco units we have, but I am not particularly strong with them at all (we have a 1720 as well). When I had the T1 installed, I brought in consultants to do the work so I could make sure that it was done right (and locked down) to begin with, and then they introduced me to it. I have read one book (CISCO Security) to further familiarize myself, but that's about it.

This is the only port but it needs to opened for both TCP and RDP. RDP is remote desktop protocol needed to access the terminal server. (Remote desktop is a mini terminal server application)

hello relder...boy, tweakxp is like a drug, so I came here for a fix while they're down...how're YOU doooon

This site is kind of slow as far as the amount of people who are logged on, and to be honest, not anyone I can see that knows as much or is as passionate as you, so they will appreciate you when they see just how much you can solve...have fun

Thanks for kind words.
Hope to help out when I can. Need to slow it down a little though. Can't have my free advice impacting my billable time for the paying customers.

my dad used to run 80 balls, of course he loved 9 ball, and mostly billiards, I can only stand watching good players, I'm bored when I try to learn...do you own a parlor?

ha my bad...I miss-read your post, and thought you said billiards...hahahah

Originally posted by relder
This is the only port but it needs to opened for both TCP and RDP. RDP is remote desktop protocol needed to access the terminal server. (Remote desktop is a mini terminal server application)

Huh? Opened for both TCP and RDP? Did you mean "Opened for Terminal Services and Remote Desktop, as they both follow the RDP protocol", or "Opened on both TCP and UDP" (not that UDP is needed anyway)?

Remote Desktop and Terminal Services are the same thing. Although "Remote Desktop" is a bit watered down. It does not use UDP but it does require the port to be open for RDP.

3389/TCP -- RDP
Remote Desktop Protocol (RDP) is the protocol that enables a thin client to communicate with the Terminal server over the network. This protocol is based on the International Telecommunication Union (ITU) T.120 protocol, an international, standard multiple-channel conferencing protocol that is currently being used in the Microsoft NetMeeting conferencing software product.

Umm, yeah, I already know about the relationship between the RDP protocol and TS/RD along with its usage of port 3389 (as I posted earlier). I was simply asking what you meant in your sentence, since it did not make any sense.

hmmm...

mine works great. I only have that port mapped with TCP protocol, no RDP?

You are fine, which was why I brought up the point about the way he phrased his answer. RDP is like FTP and HTTP, they are methods of relaying information, while TCP and UDP are the underlying transit ways that can carry them. RDP runs on the standard TCP port 3389, and since you forwarded it on TCP (UDP isn't needed) then it worked just fine.

Thanks for clearing up the RDP information...

And thanks everyone for the info..

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back