Remote Desktop Issues

sc_3007

OSNN Newbie
Im having a puzzling Remote desktop connection problem, I hope someone can help. Let me explain what I am running,

I have two windows XP machines running on a wireless 54g network. They are Belkin cards. I have a netgear modem router with a DSL connection. Now, I am trying to connect over a LAN so there are no internet issues. I have three firewalls in total. One on each machine and one on my modem router.

Initially I thought I was having a firewall issue. But I have ruled this out. I will explain. I set up the machine that i am connecting to by going to my computer > properties and then selecting remote and allowing the remote connection and I set up all of that computers users to allow remote connection. Done, then I did the same for the other machine for testing purposes.

I forwarded the port on my router modem and allowed both IP's on Zone alarms on both machines. However I tried to connect from, lets call it computer 1 to computer 2 and it did not connect. It told me I was having network problems. So I pinged the IP and checked the port was open and it pinged fine and the port was listening happily. I then de-activated both firewalls and tried to connect from computer 1 to 2 again and again, nothing!

So I was thinkin, could still be a network problem, so then I physically logged on at computer 2 and tried to connect to computer 1 with all firewalls on. It was really wierd, it connected first time!!!! I was really shocked, I when back to computer 1 adn tried to connect and it still told me there was a network error???

This doesnt make much sense. What I cant understand is that why would it not work in one direction, but work fine in the other. Ive pinged it and tested the port and it comes out ok, can anyone suggest anything???

I'm having the same problem actually. It worked once quite a while ago, but I keep restoring windows every 6 months so I can't remember what settings/configurations I had when it worked. :(

What’s the Netgear ADSL modem router is it a DG834? Because if it is it will not behave consistently with its specifications if any software firewall is in place that accesses the Internet.

:)

Both the machines use pro. There are only two computers that I am trying to connect. The third firewall is on the router.

I do have that router but I disabled all of my software firewalls and it still plays up so I am not sure that that is the problem. It may be but Im not 100% sure. So if that is the case is there any way I can fix it??

is the windows firewall is disabled? also what service pack(s) do you have installed?

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back