Remote Desktop Connection (Terminal Services Client 6.0) for Windows XP, 2003

madmatt

Awesome is as awesome does.
Political Access
Remote Desktop Connection (Terminal Services Client 6.0) provides a way to use any new Terminal Services features introduced in Microsoft Windows Vista and Microsoft Windows Server Code Name “Longhorn” from a computer running Microsoft Windows XP with Service Pack 2 or Microsoft Windows Server 2003 with Service Pack 1.

Download: Windows XP
Download: Windows Server 2003
Download: Windows XP/2003 x64

More Information: KB925876

MS Pushed this with windows update. My workstation here at work uses it now :)

That's how I found it too. =)

Well XP's wont connect to server 2003 machines configured in certain ways and certainly wont connect to vista machines :)

What he said. And updated appearance (Vista like), support for 32 bit color, otherwise pretty much the same.

Am I the only one who works for an organization that swears by VNC?

VNC only has a use when connecting to remote X Windows sessions on linux boxes.

Remote desktop is much faster and much more secure by nature of the fact that it is encrypted and versions after that supplied with xp (meaning the server 2003 edition and now this vista version) can use SSL as well.

If you only connect to windows boxen, its crazy to use anything else :)

sweet, I like it. Finally I can sit on my XP laptop and remote to my Vista-only desktop.. it doesn't allow Aero but no surprise there :)

Yeah, all the Aero stuff in a Vista session is done by the machine you TS from.

You can get Aero by TSing to a machine incapable of doing Aero the same way.

can it be used for connecting xp pro to xp home machines? my friend is looking for something to allow him to access xp home remotely.

This is just the client, which you would download to connect to machines that support RDP, which XP Home does not. The client can be downloaded to XP Home, but that would only allow him to go out, and connect to a machine that has Remote Desktop configured.

Probably have to try Remote Assistance, or something like PCAnwyhere, VNC or something similar.

What does it matter? Its encypted :)

Well

A) I save the config files and just double click em to connect and the old way is much better.
B) I don't really need encryption as I mostly use RDP inside my LAN.
C) I'm very fussy with things :p

It sucks, I can't turn off that pre-authentication which does nothing anyways.... I still have to authenticate when I get to the remote logon screen.

Anyway to turn that off?

From what I know about it so far, no way to turn that off.

Would be good to know how though - has been labeled all over the internet as "broken"

It sure is. In the meantime, I put a . in both fields and hit enter. There is a setting in the options that says 'connect anyway' if the authentication fails.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back