Remote Assistance

B

blueyedboy

My brother lives in Germany (I live in England) and has just bought a PC for the first time. He's a plasterer by trade and has no experience with using one. His comes with XP home edition and I have XP Pro. Can I access his PC using remote assistance so that I can show him how to do stuff. If so how would we do it.

If its not done that way, then I could use something like 'PC Anywhere'. I assume I would just need him to give me his IP Address, where would he get that from.

Any advice appreciated.

Thanks.

I don't know about using the remote assistance. but to get his IP address have him open a command prompt (winkey+r and type in cmd) then at the command prompt type in ipconfig /all

A better alternative: RealVNC. It's free and open-source, so you get updates every now and then.
www.realvnc.com

Check out the documentation. It's really easy to use.
And the easiest way to find out his IP address is to ask him to go to www.whatismyip.com

I am sure it's not going to work, anytime I use remote assistance, the person's computer that I am connected to cannot see what I am doing all he can see is the Windows XP screen, the same goes for when he does work on mine. If anyone has expirenced anything different or knows of a fix to this maybe they can help.

Oh yah that's right, when you connect to someones computer using remote assistance, it automatically logs all other users off the machine.

I would go wih netryder suggestion

make sure that you are using "Remote Assitance" and not "Remote Desktop"...of course...because XP home..does not allow use of the remote desktop function.. also the pc to be controlled has to create a request... and send it to the remote user....then go from there....if setup properly...the remote "controller" should open the request form..then...the pc to be controlled will be notified...where a accept or deny will be shown. to allow control

what about net meeting. works great and uses very little resources...and to get the ip address just have him go to help and about net meeting...you'll see it on the bottom left then just type his ip in and wham you're connected.you can do video and voice conf...and do desktop sharing.

Why not just MSN messenger is free easy and you need no IP address just start talking and then get him to click on START APPLICATION SHARING then follow the commands. Easy as that.

Why not just MSN messenger is free easy and you need no IP address just start talking and then get him to click on START APPLICATION SHARING then follow the commands. Easy as that.By the way net meeting is defunked over the internet as MSN provides the same service.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back