Remote assistance for dummys

Skunk141

OSNN Addict
Hi chaps, I wonder if you can give me a recommendation on a very simple and easy way to connect to a customer remotely, I have known various company's connect remotely when I or my customers have been speaking to them just by entering a website and click to start remote assistance, I want something the same, where I can instruct a customer to a website or something as easy, at the moment I am having to talk them through an install of messenger or talk them through remote assistance which is a pain, hope fully some one has some ideas of something far simpler.

Cheers

logmein works great...easy and efficient.

We us http://www.gotomeeting.com It uses a small Java Applet on each client & works well through firewalls. It allows upto 15 users at once to watch a 'presented' desktop. The presenter is able to hand over control to any of the people connected.
It's actually owned/run by citrix, and let's face it, there's not many companies know more than citrix about 'Remote Desktops' ;)

I just use Netmeeting.

What you could do is make a tutorial or presentation with Wink of what you are trying to show them then post it on a website and give them the URL.

Thanks for the info but unless I'm getting something wrong both seem too over kill for me, I'm looking for a cheaper solution....

the best software for remote assistance would be crossloop. this is a extract from it website:Starting a Session

After installing CrossLoop, you will see a welcome screen with two tabs. Select the Access tab if you would like to connect and control a friend's PC. Select the Share tab if you would like to temporarily share your screen and/or control of your PC.

to download visit crossloop's homepage here

I've used Logmein for a long time, their Logmein Rescue is a great web application for corporate users to control their client's computer without installation of a program. You do have to pay for it, but it's a great program to pay for.

Something that I haven't seen mentioned here is a sort of reversed VNC setup... have the VNC port forwarded to go through your firewall, have VNC viewer running in listen mode, and use a little tool called OneClickVNC... basically, you configure it to connect to your system (a dynamic DNS may be necessary), and distribute the package. You could also turn it into a self-extracting executable that runs. Then the user who needs help just has to run the executable, and it will connect to your system and you can control it remotely. The elegance of this is the user doesn't have to worry about it punching through a firewall or any special settings--even a flashing 12 could probably manage to run a program. :)

Log Me In is excellent. They have free and paid versions. I find the free version easy to use, so something like Log Me In Ignition is probably what you are looking for. Check it out at http://www.logmein.com

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back