Remember your first PC???

first computer was an apple something it had a drive that read cassette tapes and had a 13" black and white TV for a monitor.

I don't remember too much about it I was young (6-7ish) my mom still has it somewhere stored away i'll have to ask her about it sometime.

The first PC that I owned was a Tandy 1000. It was a 486/sx 25 with 4MB of RAM. 512MB HD. I remember buying a 4MB upgrade and it was over $300! I remember buying my first 1GB drive and at that time thinking, "Who could ever fill one of these up!?!" haha. Now I have 140GB and it's almost completely full.

Wow! Quite a few of you started off with Apple machines.
I remember the first computer we had at home was a 286.

Then it continued with a 486 -> Pentium 133MHz -> Pentium II 266 MHz -> Pentium III 550MHz (still using it on my desktop) -> Pentium 4 2.40GHz (currently on my laptop)

I remember coding in QBASIC, and playing games like King's Quest and Space Quest (haha, Roger Wilco) on those good old machines.
:D

Originally posted by o_87
Oh, and it could play Prince of Persia! :D

LOL! My cellphone has a full color version of that now :p

Originally posted by damnyank
Yes I am the oldest (as far as I know) on this thread - Kirrie2001 is the only one I know of that is older than I am on the forum! But you have to remember that Apple was my first experience and I was proabably older (37 ish) than most of you are now!:D

Here is a pic of what the AppleIIe looked like - no way am I going into my one of my daughters closet there is no telling what is in there - plus she lives on the side of town!

It takes a Grandfather to know a Grandfather computer :D

My first experiance was w/a TRS-80.Wasnt mine.It was in the trash an it had a book w/it.Read everything I could get my hands on.It was years later before I bought my first.(just a few years back after WIN ME came out)Then I regressed.Bought 98,then 95
(had to build a "new" machine to accomodate),then 3.1.So Im relatively a newbie. :)

My first PC was a 'laptop'. It was a 286 pc running at 4 MHz and with a staggering 512k ram. It had Dos 1.0 installed. The reason that I put laptop between quotes is because it was quite large. It was about the size today's towers have :p And it was heavy! I don't know what year it was originally built tho.

Originally posted by Henyman
ha ha found some info on mine:

cpc464.jpg

NAME CPC 464
MANUFACTURER Amstrad
TYPE Home Computer
ORIGIN United Kingdom
YEAR 1984
END OF PRODUCTION 1990
BUILT IN LANGUAGE Locomotive Basic
KEYBOARD QWERTY mechanical keyboard
Numeric keypad and edit block with arrow keys
CPU Zilog Z80
SPEED 4 MHz
RAM 64 kb (42kb left for user)
VRAM 16 kb
ROM 32 kb
TEXT MODES 20 x 25 with 16 colors
40 x 25 with 4 colors
80 x 25 with 2 colors
GRAPHIC MODES 160 x 200 with 16 colors
320 x 200 with 4 colors
640 x 200 with 2 colors
COLORS 27
SOUND 3 channels, 8 octaves
+1 noise channel
I/O PORTS Printer port
Bus port
1 Joystick plug (Atari standard)
Floppy Disc Port
DIN plug for Amstrad monitor
Headphone / Sound stereo jack output
BUILT IN MEDIA Tape Recorder (1000 or 2000 bauds)
OS AMSDOS or CP/M
POWER SUPPLY 5v DC (powered by an Amstrad monitor)
PRICE Monochrome - 455 (December 84)
Monochrome -410 (March 86)
Color - 684 (Dec. 84)
Color - 608 (March 86)

Had 2 of these lol still got them and a Spectrum :cool:

First proper PC was 1.8 gb, intel 133mhz, 8mb mem :eek: something like that and Tomb Raider 1 was wikid and Worms lol

Does anyone remember when a floppy disk was truely floppy??

Sure do :) In fact, I'm using that floppy box to hold my CDs now :D Same size but tonnes more disk space.

It was an Apple something for me. *sigh* where have the years gone.

Edit: I stand corrected... Please ignore this post. The image posted was an 8 inch floppy disk.

Does anyone remember when a floppy disk was truely floppy??

The floppy disk that you posted is definately not the first. The first was actually an 8 inch floppy disk which was developed in 1967 (yeah, I said '67) Here goes a picture...
floppies.jpg

First observed application....

Perhaps this should be separate thread - maybe even two... you could post the first application you developed or the first you used...

I found a great picture of the machine I posted being used for train time display - attached... this was quite something for the times... using the teletext display mode (when it worked!) :rolleyes:

my first computer i ever used was a zx81 b+w screen
then Spectrum 48k/ tape recorder/ microdrive

My dad bought us a Radio Shack TRS-80 - I don't remember the model. I was around 9-10 at the time. Wow that thing was old.

I found this on the web:

Catalog: 26-1051
Released: August 1977
Price: US $399.95
How Many: 200,000 (1977-1981)
CPU: Zilog Z-80A, 1.77 MHz
RAM: 4K, 16K max*
Ports: Cassette I/O, video,
Expansion connector*
Display: 12" monochrome monitor
64 X 16 text
Expansion: External Expansion Interface*
Storage: Cassette storage*
* Additional capabilties with Expansion Interface

I like the sleek polished aluminium finish - must've been a good looker for its time :)

Originally posted by SnookBooger
IBM 286 DoD issue.:)

My current DoD computer is a Pentium 233 with 128MB of RAM and Windows NT :( I thought the USAF was supposed to be on the cutting edge.

I've worked with stuff like that in hi-tech organisations - they can go cool and start calling them "thin clients" if you get real unlucky!

At least you're doing your bit for recycling, it is very ecologically sound!

the first computer that i used was a custom built one my dad got like 5 years ago, but my first computer was a dell dimension 4400, and its still running strong. oo wait im using it right now to type this post.

Remember it?? I've still got the key used to wind it up!!

If we are talking PC then I had some dreadful 8086 variety. But even before that I had a Sinclair ZX80!!

Truely steam powered.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AndersonLo
Back