Relinking 'My Music' on StartMenu.. How?

Alex_is_Axel

.:: FTPAlex ::.
Goodafternoon everyone,

I was just wondering how you can relink the 'My Music' folder on the startmenu to go to another folder link on your computer because i store all my music on another drive (not in my documents). Can this be done? Without any third party software :p

Thank you for your help and time, i mostly appreciate it

Alex :cool:

I know it can be easily done using tweakUI the microsoft power toy.
It can also be done by editing the registary
Just type "regedit" in the run box
then go to HKEY_CURRENT_USER
then SOFTWARE -> MICROSOFT -> WINDOWS -> CURRENT VERSION -> EXPLORER -> SHELL FOLDERS you then double click on "My Music" and change the value to the correct target

Oh a little tip here there folder on the start menu will get the same icon as the target folder, so if you want it to match as before i.e. with the folder and the little note first right click your target folder and go to properties, it the customise tab and at the bottom you can change the folder icon to something suitable.
Hope this helps :)

I think the easiest way to do this is open your my documents folder, then drag your my music folder to your existing drive. XP updates the link automatically.

what about if i already have a folder set up? would the drag and drop still work?

HKEY_CURRENT_USER
then SOFTWARE -> MICROSOFT -> WINDOWS -> CURRENT VERSION -> EXPLORER -> SHELL FOLDERS

^^ I dont have that. I have up to Explorer but thers only 3 things there which are not folder names

Any ideas?

Thanx for your help and time

weird here is a screenie of my reg-edit proggy i have circled the points of interest in red

Attachments

• untitled.JPG
    untitled.JPG
    119.4 KB · Views: 132
Alex_is_Axel said:
what about if i already have a folder set up? would the drag and drop still work?
Alex_is_Axel, it should take your exact structure. When I moved My Music to a folder on another partition, the structure and album art etc. stayed the same. To be 100% sure, you can use a tweak program to do it for you.
;)

indyjones said:
weird here is a screenie of my reg-edit proggy i have circled the points of interest in red

i just found the registry and i set it to the location where my new my music folder is but when i press the 'My Music' on my startmenu, it still goes to my documents/my music. :(.. do i have to reset the Explorer.exe?

Alex

hmm possble, I used tweakUI to change it but i checked the registry for the values it had changed and this seems to be it, yeah reset explorer.exe or reboot

do you have to install this TweakUI? or can you just run it?

it still didnt load up the proper folder after a reload of explorer.exe :(

it embeds itself into windows, but you can uninstall it, its an offical powertoy its got tonnes of other options built in its jsut one of the functions to change the path of any of XP's special folders

I have attached it for ya :)

Attachments

• XPPowertoySetupTweakUiTweakUi.zip
    132.7 KB · Views: 77
thanx indyjones :)

I installed TweakUi and i set the folder to the destination and it works fine now :).. thank you for the software

Thanx everyone for your help :)

I was wondering if you could have multiple "my music" folders? For instance, I have 3 parent music folders: Tunes (mp3), Tunes (mpc), Tunes (misc).

the only way I see is by adding subfolders to the start folder/mydocuments/my music/Etc,. which will show up on all programs menu which you can then pin to the start menu. I believe there was a folder program that allowed you to do that but I cannot think of the name right now. :(

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back