Religious tolerance tested....

Disturbed by call to prayer music, would you....

• Whack your own playlist on full blast....

Votes: 9 32.1%
  • Pop aroung to ask them if you can join them at prayer!

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Wait until you see them and mention it then

Votes: 7 25.0%
  • Do nothing - it's their religion & you must accept it

Votes: 4 14.3%
  • Send them a note/letter letting them know

Votes: 3 10.7%
  • Launch a Jihad against the neighbours! (= "Holy War")

Votes: 5 17.9%

• Total voters

Mainframeguy

Debiant by way of Ubuntu
Lord and I have new neighbours one side. This might seem odd given thread subject but wait for it.... you see the guys name is Islam - so yeah, I guess they are muslims. Fine, probably good people I think. Anyway - I am aware they may pray at odd times etc and that is no problem to me.

However, partly due to think walls here, I have discovered that they also play "call to prayer" music at these odd times! When I say odd this was before 5:30 AM today and it woke me up! This is testing my tolerance levels - apart from anything else I have trouble tolerating the atonal warblings that call to prayer even if I am awake - if I am asleep it seems to ennoy me even more AND IT WAKES ME UP! (Lord cannot be woken by anything - so he will be unaffected :p hehe).

Thought I would whack up a poll for some posts on this too....

It's always interesting to confront stereotypes and prejudices - this one has me wondering what's best to do....

OK, so I know religion and politics are not the best things to talk about, so I say this not for you to judge me, just as a little humor. Please don't turn this into a flaming thread

The other day I was sitting on my couch eating and someone knocked on my door. I went to the door and it was this 16 or so year old girl passing out flyers about a "free concert" at a local club or something like that. So, I was asking her questions about it because it was all local rock stuff, and I am kinda into that type of thing. After about 3 minutes she started telling me "well, we mix gospel messages into the music..." which really turned me off because I just don't believe all of that. So, I tryed to hand the flyer back to her and said "I'm sorry, I'm not interested." I was very polite about it, but she just stood there looking at me like I had killed her dog. So I said, "I'm really not intersted, I'm athiest" and she says "NO YOUR NOT!" And I just look at her, dumbfounded. Who is she to tell me what I am and what I am not.. And I just continue to stare at her because I can't believe this little brat at my door just said that to me.. Then she proceeds to say "I can see the law of the lord written on your heart..." So I throw the paper at her and say "F*ck Off!" and SLAM the door on her. Then she sits outside my door screaming "Jesus Loves You!!!!" and I am inside and I just scream back "Go To Hell!!!!"

So, I am an understanding person. I don't push my beliefs on anyone else and I EXPECT the same. One of the greatest things in the US is our consitutional rights, one being religious freedom. Who was she to try to take away my constitutional rights? Anyways, when it was all said and over with, it turned out to be funny... although my fiance didn't think so.. :-/ She wasn't mad about anything I said or even the slamming of the door... she was mad that I laughed at it... But it was funny! Oh well.. hope someone else atleast gets a chuckle out of it.

Oh, Mainframeguy... I understand your frustration...

get to know them, I know that is kind of skittish as far as your problem goes , but the true intent of islam is discipline and peace. yeah it is odd that they have to pray three times a day and say prayers towards mecca, but is that any different than catholics who go to church on Wednesdays? once you approach them in an honest fashion , maybe then you can ask them to mind the noise level, if you dont do it fight off the bat. Good luck!
Of course my 18 month old daughter wakes me up at 6, so maybe you'd might consider a trade?

I would suggest maybe going an introducing you & Lord and maybe bring up the noise thing subtle like. :)

Just pretend that religion has nothing to do with it. Wouldn't you confront a neighbor who was making noise or blasting music at that time of morning?

vivid_vibe said:
Just pretend that religion has nothing to do with it. Wouldn't you confront a neighbor who was making noise or blasting music at that time of morning?
I don't care who lives next door to me,if they play loud music and make a noise at all hours I do something about it.
Last neighbours we had who did that ended up wishing they'd listened when we asked them to keep it down cause I went to the council and got them evicted :laugh:

Mainframeguy said:
Lord and I have new neighbours one side. This might seem odd given thread subject but wait for it.... you see the guys name is Islam - so yeah, I guess they are muslims. Fine, probably good people I think. Anyway - I am aware they may pray at odd times etc and that is no problem to me.

However, partly due to think walls here, I have discovered that they also play "call to prayer" music at these odd times! When I say odd this was before 5:30 AM today and it woke me up! This is testing my tolerance levels - apart from anything else I have trouble tolerating the atonal warblings that call to prayer even if I am awake - if I am asleep it seems to ennoy me even more AND IT WAKES ME UP! (Lord cannot be woken by anything - so he will be unaffected :p hehe).

Thought I would whack up a poll for some posts on this too....

It's always interesting to confront stereotypes and prejudices - this one has me wondering what's best to do....

Antisocial laws don't take into account religion or politics, though they should not anyway.

Firstly speak to them, tell them they are waking you up and what they're doing is causing you problems.

If they continue then phone the local council and get the noise team onto it.

Me personally I don't care what colour they are or what religion they practice, they break the laws on this land they should be dealt with.

If they continue then you have to take action, I know what they will argue about though, 'Islamophobia', just ignore that crap and complain.

Disturbing noise on odd times is disturbing noise. It doesn't matter ifit's a call to prayer. I'm pretty sure there's nothing in the religionrequiring them to make alot of noise before prayer. ;)

If it bothers you, complain. It's about noise, not religion.

I agree with Zedric. Noise is noise. It doesn't matter what its source or why. Politely approach them to please lower the volume.

yeah we pray 5 times a day and not 3. and there's only one morning prayer but the rest are scattered through out the day. just go ask the kindely to turn it down a little bit. no matter what noise/music they have, they should only have it loud enough that they can hear and it not the apartments next them. and i wouldn't get the landlord first, i would try to settle it one on one so it doesn't turn into an enormous deal

øøøøøøøs to doing nothing. Pop round and have a word.

i would be tempted to whack my own up very loud, but scared that they might wage a jihad against me... so i would probably pop round and have a little word in their ear.

How to deal with nuisance neighbours
We had an environmental health officer come to our home and he left a tape recorder that recorded noise level for us to gather evidence and we also had to keep a diary of exactly what was going on and when :)

/puts on devils advocate hat

*But what about their rights to worship freely?
*Is there anything that you do to possibly annoy-bother them?
*Are there any other neighbours that are-will complain(ing)?

There is two sides to every coin. Just as a way to not point fingers could you possibly ask if there is anything that you do that bothers them? Possibly late night gaming? Or any thing else?

I try this with my neighbours first, then get evil if it doesn't help or if they are disagreeable. Such as the laundry soap incident.

They can worship freely, just do it quietly. Even prodj88 has stated the sound only needs to be audible to them, not broadcast at volumes that are heard by others.

If MFG or Lord had done anything to annoy the neighbours, then the neighbours should come forward and tell them (Just as MFG and Lord should go tell the neighbours that they're annoying/causing a disturbance), rather than start to try and annoy back.

I used to have an african-american family that lived downstaris from me, BIG on gospel music, the woman who lived there would sign her gospel music at 4:00am before going to work VERY LOUD! We can to a compomise, I kicked in $50 and helped her buy a tape deck for her car, after that she sang her gospel in her car on her drive to work.

I would tell them to turn that øøøø off. I most likely wouldnt mind if it was during the day but then again i might. I would do the same to them but turning up AC/DC really loud and see what they do. I wouldnt have to courage to go up and tell them to turn it down unless i was drunk cause i wouldnt want to make them look stupid and all that. I just got done talking in a Live Journal comment area about this persons comment about EMO and god. I was telling them that i dont beleave in god cause i dont see any proof of him being there. So then they brought on the air thing and i was like well i can feel it when i move and all that so dont bring that øøøø into this convo. They kept push ing me and pushing me to just turn over to god in a snap. Most of them kept saying we pray for u and hope u find the right way. See thats stuff that pisses me off the most is when people say i hope u find the right way and we pray for you. I have no problem with anybody beleaving in anything because its there choice but when they try to force there religion on me that is just pushing it. Anyway...i have like a butt load to say but i cant put it into words and dont wanna bore anybody. I just wanna say that i am not trying to offend anybody and i hope nothin to bad happends over this thread as i can tell its gonna turn somewhat crazy.

Whatever you do don't be an arse and lower yourself to try to annoy them back because all your doing is giving them something to use against you if they become unreasonable.
Go and explain to them that you can hear it and ask if they'd turn it down.If you decide to take it further through official channels the first thing they will ask is if you have had a word with them and what the outcome of that was.

I cannot abide people who have no regard for others,especially morons who think that playing music so the neighbours can hear it is clever.I went through it once and will never go through it again :mad:

Evil Marge said:
I cannot abide people who have no regard for others,especially morons who think that playing music so the neighbours can hear it is clever.I went through it once and will never go through it again :mad:
Yeah I agree. Cranking up your stereo is not an answer to this. They are using this music as part of a religous practice and not to annoy others, they are just unaware of how thin the walls are perhaps.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back