Reinstalling XP & 2000

K

KirbyKyle

I'm planning on dumping my current setup of XP and partitioning my HDD to accomodate both XP and 2000. Is there any tips on making this a painless ordeal?

Just curious, is there a reason to run both W2K and XP?

XP is an upgrade to W2K, and is pretty much capable of anything W2K can do, and then some.

Anyhoo, all you need to do is make 2 separate NTFS partitions for each install, install W2K, then install XP. Do it in that order, and you should be fine.

Make sure you back up all your important info.

Any questions, holler here.

Good Luck.

I run AutoCAD 2000 and XP will not support it. I just relized after answering someone elses question I can only install 98 or me and not 2000 prior to installing XP according to PC World Nov. issue. So are there any tricks to this with 98 or me instead of 2000?

Not much, really.

Just understand that although XP can read Fat32, Windows 98/ME cant read NTFS. You need to make the 98/NE partition Fat32, and install 9x first, then XP. Just make sure you dont install them both in the same partition, or you could have problems (not could, will :D )

Have you tried compatibility mode, or a patch for autocad?

Where do I start as to the partitioning. When things where dos based I would fdisk at the c:\.

Do you have partition magic 7? IIRC, you could also use FDisk, but I cant remember if it will recognize the NTFS partition. I believe that it will read it as a Non-DOS partition, but will still delete it.

Make your FAT32 partition at the beginning (C:\) and make sure to leave enough space for the future NTFS partition. Then you should be able to install 98/ME.

I just relized after answering someone elses question I can only install 98 or me and not 2000 prior to installing XP according to PC World Nov. issue. So are there any tricks to this with 98 or me instead of 2000?
Hey, say that real quiet, don't want my machine to hear it ain't supposed to be working.

That's the dual-boot I have, Win2k first, XP second. Running great.

Why? because I'm using 2k as a saftey net in case I crash my XP. I have 2k on Fat32 primary(C:\) and XP NTFS on an extended partition (D:\).

Lonman
Actually what they were saying was your not supposed to be able to upgrade from Windows 2000 to XP using the XP home upgrade. So if that is how you did it great. Let me know so I don't have to do 98 or ME.

By the way Speed4Ever thanks. I got home and did as you said I installed AutoCAD using the compatibility mode and it work. I was ready to dump everything.

No, no upgrade. I thought you were referring to a dual-boot. If you're doing an upgrade i don't really think it matters, XP pretty much wacks the previous OS.

Originally posted by Lonman
No, no upgrade. I thought you were referring to a dual-boot. If you're doing an upgrade i don't really think it matters, XP pretty much wacks the previous OS.

I thought this too. I'd agree, whether its Home or Pro, it doesnt care what it dual-boots with, from Win95 all the way up.

By the way Speed4Ever thanks. I got home and did as you said I installed AutoCAD using the compatibility mode and it work. I was ready to dump everything.

Wow. That makes my day too. All I've accomplished all day is asking people to post their computer specs :D

Good to hear its working.

Especially good to hear that you didnt have to wipe out everything :D

Program Compatibility Mode is underrated IMO. Its reasonably fixed everything I've thrown at it. Not that it will fix everything, but I have yet to have a problem with it.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back