Reinstalling Old Boot Drive

S

Sidhebaird

Alright, call this a stupid question, but here goes:

Would it be possible to install a new, faster hard drive as a new boot drive under windows xp, and then retain the old hard drive as a secondary drive, just change its drive letter, and manually delete windows 98 off of it through windows xp? That way, one would have a new, faster boot drive running a better OS but would still retain all of the data on the old drive. This is what my parents want me to do with their computer while I'm home from college, and I'm not entirely certain whether it's possible.

-Sidhebaird

u could do thatexcept you would have to reinstall all of the programs on the original drive into xp because they wouldnt have their registry settings in

Well, I tried it, and Windows XP shows that the drive is there and "Healthy (active)" under disk management. But I can't assign it a drive letter and use it because the option to "change drive letter and paths" is grayed out. So XP technically detects the drive and partition, but I can't assign it a drive letter or make it show up in My Computer.

My computer is a 600 Mhz PIII Gateway with:
128 mb RAM
Soundblaster 16 PCI
and a Geforce 4

The old drive is a 14 gig Quantum Fireball (that's how it reads on the system) and the new one is a 40 gig 7200 rpm Maxtor. The old one has Win98se installed under FAT32, and the new one now has WinXP installed under NTFS.

Thanks for your help,
Sidhebaird

try formatting the drive because you will have to anyway if you only installed the programs on the old drive into 98

There's a large amount of data files and music on there that my parents want to save, however. But they also don't want to have to buy enough CD-Rs to burn backups of it all. *shrug* If there's no way to get it to work I guess there's no way to get it to work.

Thanks again,
Sidhebaird

why dont you transfer the files they want to keep onto the new drive then format it?

Just install XP on the 40GB, plug in the old 14GB as slave and transfer the files. Or just keep the files on the 14GB. It will show up as D or E or something. Do you really need to change it?

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back