Reinstalled 98 over old 98...blue screen error.. help plz

HellyHans

OSNN Addict
Ok, well previously I had a trouble with my brothers system not loading and could not bring back the old registry... so I installed over the existing OS, same os... now when I boot I get this error...When I loaded his Os zonealarm started up.. so iam thinking it might be that... but when I went to remove existing programs in add/remove... there is nothing...any1 can help out plz?? thx
1709Picture-med.jpg

Well first you should never install an os over the existing installed one. You best bet as far as I can tell is to format the drive then install Windows 98 as that should cure most of the Blue Screen of Death errors

chastity said:
Well first you should never install an os over the existing installed one. You best bet as far as I can tell is to format the drive then install Windows 98 as that should cure most of the Blue Screen of Death errors

Euhh... actually there is nothing wrong in installing over the existing OS...alot of people do this.. and I did it alot of times, and never had problems...
Now I could not format and reinstall as I had very important info on that comp, and its SCZI drive and I couldnt take the drive and put it in my good system and copy the info.. because i'am IDE my only second solution is to make a second partition and the drive and install windows on that and get it up and working... but iam not there yet... Ive installed over os's before.. now if someone recognizes this error.. please help.. thank you

I agree, i used to isntall 98 over its self many many times, with out much bother. done it with XP a few times to

Any way I looked around at it seems the most used way of resolving it is to replace the file APIX.VXD (which is causing the problem) Some people deleted it and then rebooted some people replaced it with a fresh copy extracted from the CAB file from the 98 cd .

Also some people noted a problem like thise using a verison of EasyCD creator to which theres a patch on Adaptec site

HellyHans said:
Euhh... actually there is nothing wrong in installing over the existing OS...alot of people do this.. and I did it alot of times, and never had problems...
Now I could not format and reinstall as I had very important info on that comp, and its SCZI drive and I couldnt take the drive and put it in my good system and copy the info.. because i'am IDE my only second solution is to make a second partition and the drive and install windows on that and get it up and working... but iam not there yet... Ive installed over os's before.. now if someone recognizes this error.. please help.. thank you

Well guess I was wrong to a point but then again I was told and have read in books regarding the A+ certification course that you should not do that and folks who told me were also A+ certified. Which is what I based my first reply on more power to if you don't have any problem installing over the old install the one time I tried I had no luck either so I always format then install. Sorry I couldn't be of more help

i have to agree with chastity, it is always a good idea to get into the habit of formatting your drive at the beggining of every re-install, and yes i recieved this informatio from A+ Cert Notes. I would say start with a format re-install and see if you continue getting BSOD's

dont get me wrong here... I agree 110% with her also... i always did format before an install.. but in this case... I cant because there's too much valuable info on the drive...and I cant copy the crap on it to my computer because its sczi...
but I think I figured something out... plug my drive to the cdrom and copy over the crap...and reformat after... or just make another partition and burn the stuff... i dunno yet..

iam gonna try your solution tomorrow... didnt have time yet... but dont worry I'll let you know what happened...thx

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AndersonLo
Back