Registry editing

oreverb

OSNN Junior Addict
How can I edit the registry of another Win XP installation, which is located on another hard drive?

I need this to get the other hd to boot, since I changed my motherboard and the obsolete IDE driver (of the old mobo) won't allow booting and gives the blue screen with 0x0000007B error (aka INACCESSIBLE_BOOT_DEVICE).

I thought I'd put the hd as a slave to a working computer and modify the malfunctioning XP's registry this way.

you should be able to use regedit then use import registry and open it up that way. I belive the reg is stored in system.dat and user.dat? but i'm not 100% sure been awhile since I've done it so you might wanna double check, but when you are done editing you can just save the changes and export it back

Well in XP the reg is located in c:\windows\system32\config. Under that dir is a pile of files, I suppose I should be editing the file called system?

I'm using these as my instructions: http://www.computing.net/windowsxp/wwwboard/forum/8654.html

It's still unclear how I should do the editing with regedit; maybe load the file "system" as a hive to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE, edit it and then unload it? Never done this before, so please confirm this will give the results I need (which is to solely edit the reg on the other hd, nothing else).

hmm not sure that your problem will be able to be fixed simply regediting, you might consider a re-install of XP as i'm not sure how to go about fully editing it and if that will work to make the drive accessible =/

the book says:

Stop 0x0000007B or INACCESSIBLE_BOOT_DEVICE

This error message means that Windows XP is unable to locate the system partition or boot volume during the startup process. The problem may occur after repartitioning disks, adding new disks, or upgrading a disk controller and its drivers. In that case, entries in the Boot.ini file no longer point to the correct partitions. If the error occurs after upgrading the disk controller, verify that the new hardware is configured properly. Then start your system with the Windows XP CD, log on to the Recovery Console, and use the Bootcfg command to scan for available Windows installations and repair the Boot.ini file automatically.

hope this will help you out

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back