Refurbished PS3 20GB HD

failurbydesign

music MUSIC music
Political Access
So, i want the option of having the ps1/ps2 game play, i know with the 40gb doesn't support that and from my research there is no way to unofficially ad it! Anyways i can get the 20gb on gamestop/eb for $379.99...the Hd is no big deal, i found a great how to backup and swap out a new hd (only if we could back them up and play from a usb or internal hd). Though i was wondering if the PS3 supports dvd upscaling? Other than that im just looking for some positive feedback between the PS3 and 360!

http://www.gamestop.com/Catalog/ProductDetails.aspx?product_id=64005

http://www.ebgames.com/Catalog/ProductDetails.aspx?product_id=64005

http://vgstrategies.about.com/od/ps3cheatsandcodes/ss/PS3HDDUpgrade.htm

You know that on the 20gig you don't get wifi right.

Only get built in wifi on the 40, 60 and 80 gig versions. The 40 gig will play ps1 games but no ps2 games.

This is a old article, but explains the DVD upscaling for the PS3.
http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/pos...u-ray-support-and-upscaling-capabilities.html

PS3 vs 360

If you want a full Entertainment Multimedia system, Games, Blu-ray, Divx, DVD, Linux, Folding! swapping out larger Hard drives. its the way to go. I would save your $$$ for the built in wireless. :)

The firmware updates make the PS3 great its what makes this system furture proof on all aspects.

The PS3 is coming into its own now. The games are getting much better, and no RROD!

If you want just games.. then the 360 is your choice.

Anyone know how to copy files to the hd? Thats my big thing, i dotn want to run an external, ill upgrade the drive, just need to know how to network or upload videos to the ps3 (the modded xbox isn't cutting it anymore!)

tdinc, i do plan to use it for a media center!!

Taken from Playstation.com

Files can be imported or exported using many digital storage formats.
These include Memory Stick DuoTM and Memory Stick Pro DuoTM, SD cards, Compact Flash, USB, and wireless connection.

Once connected, your storage media (the Memory Stick, USB device, etc.) will appear as an item in the Photo, Music and Video categories of the Home Menu, and in the Game category within [Saved Data Utility]. To copy a video file from your storage media to PS3TM Hard Disk Drive, simply navigate through the Video category to your storage media's icon, open it (click it) and highlight the video (or folder full of videos) you want to copy across. Press the TRIANGLE button on the SIXAXISTM Wireless Controller, and select [Copy].
To copy a video file from PS3TM Hard Disk Drive to your storage media, simply navigate through the Video category on the XMBTM to the video (or folder full of videos) stored on your PS3TM Hard Disc Drive. Highlight your chosen video/folder, press the TRIANGLE button on the SIXAXISTM wireless controller, and select [Copy].

or you can use http://www.redkawa.com/mediacenters/ps3mediacenterx/

So, i want the option of having the ps1/ps2 game play, i know with the 40gb doesn't support that and from my research there is no way to unofficially ad it! Anyways i can get the 20gb on gamestop/eb for $379.99...the Hd is no big deal, i found a great how to backup and swap out a new hd (only if we could back them up and play from a usb or internal hd). Though i was wondering if the PS3 supports dvd upscaling? Other than that im just looking for some positive feedback between the PS3 and 360!

http://www.gamestop.com/Catalog/ProductDetails.aspx?product_id=64005

http://www.ebgames.com/Catalog/ProductDetails.aspx?product_id=64005

http://vgstrategies.about.com/od/ps3cheatsandcodes/ss/PS3HDDUpgrade.htm

Pay 20 bucks more and get the 40GB version and worry about the old game playback by using a ps1/ps2 player. Seriously. I have yet to meet a PS3 owner who has, after a month or so, gone back to playing their older games on their new console.

You just loose out on too much with the 20GB version. The 60GB version on the other hand was pretty good but it's well expensive, if you can even find one.

tdinc-Thanks for that info! Just what i needed!

Pay 20 bucks more and get the 40GB version and worry about the old game playback by using a ps1/ps2 player. Seriously. I have yet to meet a PS3 owner who has, after a month or so, gone back to playing their older games on their new console.

You just loose out on too much with the 20GB version. The 60GB version on the other hand was pretty good but it's well expensive, if you can even find one.

With the 20 i kno wi loose wifi, but i do want the ps1/ps2 to play games the first few GTA and a few others..Plus ill either upgrade the hd or use and external so the ps3 is a media center like my modded xbox!

According to wiki the ps3 80GB has a software emulated ps2 player, if i had a hd formated and installed with that software from the 80gb, do you think it would work once i swap it into a 40 gb?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PlayStation_3#Retail_configurations

so I bought a ps3 on ebay! Its a 20gb NTSC-j version unopened which is cool, though no wifi I done care! But I researched what NTSC-j ps3 is and I just got confused....I just want to make sure I can play and watch movies and games!!!!!

so I bought a ps3 on ebay! Its a 20gb NTSC-j version unopened which is cool, though no wifi I done care! But I researched what NTSC-j ps3 is and I just got confused....I just want to make sure I can play and watch movies and games!!!!!

Congrats :) just FYI for possible issues you may run across.

Japan is in Region 2 for DVD and Region A for BluRay.
UK is in Region 2 for DVD and Region B for BluRay.

UK is 50Hz (576/50i) for Region 2 DVDs (aka PAL). Japan is 60Hz (480/60i) for Region 2 DVDs (aka NTSC) because of the differing standard def video standards in the two regions. I don't know what a Japanese PS3 does when a 50Hz disc is attempted to be played on it.

Also, if you are using composite or S-video, there is a slight difference between US and Japanese NTSC. The US version has a slight "black level set-up" on it, that means black level is a bit higher level than blanking. The Japanese version (often known as NTSC J) has no black level set-up, and like European PAL and SECAM has black level at the same voltage level as blanking. This difference can usually be compensated for by altering brightness on the display - but if you are watching a PS3 via a composite or s-video connection then you're mad any way!

This isn't an issue for pre-recorded DVDs, HDMI/DVI or Component interconnects, as it is applied in the NTSC encoder (and should be not part of the YCrCb signals on a US disc)

Therefore a Japanese PS3 should play US and Japanese BluRay releases, but it may only play Japanese R2 60Hz DVD releases, and not US R1 60Hz DVDs (due to differing regions) and possibily not European R2 50Hz DVD releases (if the PS3 Japanese version doesn't like 50Hz discs).

I would not be at all surprised if R2 50Hz DVD playback was not enabled on a Japanese PS3, as if it were this would be a great model for European importers (Play UK DVDs and US BluRays!)

now start folding

I have tried playing PAL discs in my NTSC (US) PS3 40GB and they got rejected for region coding. I even edited the IFO to trick NTSC and it didn't work. Not sure if this is an all region thing but you may run into the problem.

To add...there is a rumor of backwards compatibility coming to the 40GB version

http://www.psxextreme.com/ps3-news/3181.html

I have tried playing PAL discs in my NTSC (US) PS3 40GB and they got rejected for region coding. I even edited the IFO to trick NTSC and it didn't work. Not sure if this is an all region thing but you may run into the problem.

To add...there is a rumor of backwards compatibility coming to the 40GB version

http://www.psxextreme.com/ps3-news/3181.html

I had the guy refund my money on ebay..he was cool, in the description he didn't mention that...anyways...i want the PS3 to play some ps2 games...i read about that "maybe in October" a while ago, idk if its worth waiting. I knwo the differences with the 20 and 40 gb versions...other than the wifi and some usb ports chipset and BC..ill prob just go with the 20

This is a old article, but explains the DVD upscaling for the PS3.
http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/pos...u-ray-support-and-upscaling-capabilities.html

PS3 vs 360

If you want a full Entertainment Multimedia system, Games, Blu-ray, Divx, DVD, Linux, Folding! swapping out larger Hard drives. its the way to go. I would save your $$$ for the built in wireless. :)

The firmware updates make the PS3 great its what makes this system furture proof on all aspects.

The PS3 is coming into its own now. The games are getting much better, and no RROD!

If you want just games.. then the 360 is your choice.

Note quite true there, Xbox 360 supports; obviously games (and inmho it has a better range at the moment), Divx (which is supposidly better than the PS3 though I have no first hand experiance with it) has a bigger hard disk (elite), a massive range of movies to download off live (including an ever growing HD range), DVD upscaling, media centre extender support, and a novety HD-DVD drive :D

RROD is not the issue it once was with the newer xboxes being much more reliable, depending on the website you read (and what side of the fence you are on) PS3 has as much as an issue now with failing blu-ray lasers .....

As the end of the day they are both good consoles, with different pros and cons, top of the list for me would be blu-ray suppport vs xbox live. All I can suggest is have a few goes on each and pick the one you prefer there is loads of support for each so no matter which you go for you will not be dissapointed :) (well until gears of war 2 comes out anyway ;P)

I only want to play a few games, i have enough downloaded movies/tv and what not to add to the ps3 when i swap out the hd for a HUGE DRIVE, blu-ray and thats about it..so we will c! If the 360 would aloow for huge HD swaps and network media to hd..i woul dbe amped! i dont want to stream...

If the 360 would aloow for huge HD swaps and network media to hd..i woul dbe amped! i dont want to stream...

Networked media? I though that is streaming?
But if you want networked media that's when media connect comes in. If not and you don't want to stream copy the file(s) to Cd/DVD/Memory Stick or USB hard drive and play it from there :)

I have both systems and have attempted every single way to play media on them. I love them both and have no favorite of the two. I will explain my experience with playing media on them and the pros and cons of both.

The xbox 360 plays more different types of files and better support. The ps3 plays a lot but when something doesn't play it always works on my 360. Almost 100% positive on this one but the ps3 has better capabilites of playing xvid when the file is on the hard drive and not streamed or on a flash drive.

The blu-ray drive is great for the ps3 and the games always come on a blu-ray disc (more storage). There are rumors that the 360 will add one but having game support is difficult since that would cause confusion in the market place and people who have older systems wouldn't be able to play the games unless they released two versions of the games.

major downer for the 360 is non user upgradeable hard drives. Adding one to the ps3 is easy but that adds to the cost, just priced a 250 gig 2.5 drive for around 65 after MIR.

To add the easiest way to stream music, pics and Movies to either system is WMP 11. have it monitor folders and done. they stream right there with almost no setup.

I love both systems. Have more games for the 360 but some of the exclusives for the ps3 are awesome...FF13, MGS4 just to name a few.
It's a crap shoot.

Another note is that I've played GTAIV on both systems and there was literally 0 difference in quality of the graphics. GTAIV and most newer games install files on the ps3 which is a pain but a 2x BD drive will be very slow when scanning through 25-50 gigs of data.

Hope this helps.

Networked media? I though that is streaming?
But if you want networked media that's when media connect comes in. If not and you don't want to stream copy the file(s) to Cd/DVD/Memory Stick or USB hard drive and play it from there :)

I dont want to waste cd/dvd/flash drives, i like the idea of copying files to the HD, just like with my modded 1st gen xbox!

Tuffgong4, thanks for that info, i do like both systems, i just want to have a small media center, no streaming, just straight from the hd! One day the 360 will be moddable like the xbox and become a bad ass machine (maybe blu-ray too!), but for now with the few games i play, ill stick with the ps3! When i swap out the hd ill post pics!

I ordered a 320gb HD...the 500 can wait, ill post more info when its all set up!

Got the ps3, pretty rad hands down! Installed my 320 hd (took 5 min) and updated to the latest firmware! BUT whats sucks is that i noticed when i copied videos over, i lost all my nice organized folders! How can i create folders on the ps3 hd that resembles what i have on my external for all my videos?

i want it to look something like this

Videos
>Movies
>21
>MOVIE NAMES
>TV
>CSI (folder)
>SEASON 1
>epiodes

my ps3 crapped out on me. won't read discs anymore. saw some other users with the same problem...going to format it and give it another go. I'm not hopeful since it's probably a dead bd drive...oh well such is life...

Members online

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back