ReFormating my hard drive

XpGuy1

Mindless Poster
i have an 80 gig hard drive and i'm running xp... can I use the xp Cd to re partition my hard drive???

Fdisk won't allow me to do this

Yes, but not without losing all your data. If you have unallocated space (unformatted), you can create one or more partitions with them from within Disk Management without doing any damage to existing data.

Otherwise, your only alternative without reformatting is a 3rd party utility such as Partition Magic (7.0 or 8.0).

u can use partition magic to create couple partitions with out loosing data. will take some time on a big hard drive but when done correctly you wont loose any data.

I just reformatted my hard drive yesterday and backed it up with Partitian Magic 8.0. I saved all my programs and games to drive E. where I have 80 gigs.. My problem was after I re-installed XP/ and SP1 patch and went to replace my programs in Drive C, all I had for programs was .dat files and NOT .exe files.. I was pissed to say the least.. I know I didn't do something right. I probably should of just dragged and dropped..

see how big they are.maybe you need to change their extension from dat to something else.

I don't think it works that way. The registry is a complicated thing, you must reinstall your programs so that they can properly set themselves up and make all the proper references (create keys etc.) in the registry. When you re-formatted/re-installed XP a new default registry was created. When you run an installation for a program you see all the changes that have to made during the set-up proccess. There are some programs that don't make any changes in the registry, but these are usually small, and exceptions to the rule.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back