Redhat, XP-Pro & Partition MAgic

R

renakuajo

wanna try redhat...currently i have xp pro installed my system is setup is:

athlon 1.4
640ram
2 40gb HD's
8 partitions ntfs

if i install partition magic can i split C into 2 so i can install redhat, and if so can i install redhat in an ntfs partion? can redhat see the other partions that i have?

1) If there is enough free space on C:, Partition Magic will be able to split it into two partitions. But don't do that ... read ahead.

2) Redhat doesn't install on NTFS partitions. Linux has its own file system.

3) Linux can mount NTFS partitions in read-only mode. It can mount FAT32 partitions in both read and write mode.

Here's what u should do:
a) Use Partition Magic to resize your C:, leaving enough space for a linux partition. But don't create a partition ... leave it as unpartitioned free space instead.
b) Boot from the RH CD, and somewhere along the installation, you will be given the option to create partitions. Tell setup to use your unformatted free space to automatically create linux partitions.

That should do it.
Feel free to ask if u need anything else along the way.

Cheers!
NetRyder :cool:

cool thats even better.....but can i acces my pictures and mp3 or documents that are in the other partitions....also after i install redhat how do i network with my other pc (xp pro also)

SAMBA allows linux clients to access Windows computers on local networks. I haven't really used it, but someone will be able to help u out once u have it installed.

G'luck! :)

Cheers!
NetRyder :cool:

More importantly (IMO) is that Samba enables Windows computers to access shares on a Linux computer.

Originally posted by Zedric
More importantly (IMO) is that Samba enables Windows computers to access shares on a Linux computer.

True ;)

So you know it is best not to mount NTFS partitions in Linux, it can screw them up, it would be best to create a approximately 300MB FAT32 or FAT16 partition to transfer data between XP and Linux.

I think you can also get an app that allows you to access an ext3 filesystem (linux one) and tranfer files from within windows, I cant remember what it is called off the top of my head, but I will find out.

Linux Partitions

In order for your system to dual boot you will need to designate Windows as your 1st boot. Linux Red Hat needs about 1.8GB of partition space as does Windows XP. The best way to accomplish this would be to install Windows (example here: 4GB HD)Allow 2 GB for Windows and install. Then install Linux and allow the remaining 2GB for that. I hope this helps. Partition Magic may help but is not necessary to get the job done.

Regards.

Originally posted by Geffy
I think you can also get an app that allows you to access an ext3 filesystem (linux one) and tranfer files from within windows, I cant remember what it is called off the top of my head, but I will find out.

Geffy, did you find it yet?

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back