Redhat help...

Tittles

Dabba Dooba
Political Access
Hey I was wondering if someone could help me with some redhat problems. First off when i installed firefox it installed it in the same folder that the installer was in. I also dont have an icon for it. I am sorry if that sounds stupid but i just dont know what to do right now. Also what can i do so it installs where i want it? One last thing what are some good apps for redhat? Thanks and sorry for the stupid questions :)

Download the installer, or unzip firefox into /usr/lib/firefox

is says i cant extract into that directory. Man this is the only reason i hate linux

TittleBitties said:
is says i cant extract into that directory. Man this is the only reason i hate linux
Sounds like a permissions issue. You'll need to temporarily switch to root (type 'su' at the prompt, and enter the root password) to be able to write to /usr/lib/

Old redhat version?

What version of red hat is it anyways?

Try out fedora.

its the newest version but i downloaded it like a year ago at the most and i think it was redhat 9 or w/e. I am finishing up installing all the updates there were like 86 updates!

Net I dont get what u ment? Sorry :(...do u mean like log off and switch the thing on how i sign on or w/e?

TittleBitties said:

Yea, security in an OS is definitely a minus :p

Just use the "su" command to temporary switch to the superuser and install it.

TittleBitties said:
Net I dont get what u ment? Sorry :(...do u mean like log off and switch the thing on how i sign on or w/e?
You could log-off and login as root, move the folder, and log back in as a regular user if you're not comfortable using the command line, but it's just a long-winded way of doing it.

Just open up a terminal window, switch to the directory that firefox got unzipped to, switch to root, and copy/move the folder to the new location:

For example:
Code:
cd /home/tittle/
su
<Enter root password>
cp -r firefox/ /usr/lib/firefox
rm -rf firefox/
That should do it.

j79zlr said:
Yea, security in an OS is definitely a minus :p
It does tend to be confusing for new users. In fact, it tends to be a pain even for novice users. There needs to be a middle ground that makes things a little easier, yet secure at the same time.

Red hat 9 is pretty old.

For a lot more update to date system try Fedora. Also, what NetRyder said will get it working, but make sure to check your version dependencies, as Red Hat is known to be out of sync with the real world.

lol...ummm yeah i got it to work but when i get to the part where i choose to pick the destination directory i click next and it says i dont have permission to install in /usr/lib/firefox.

edit: I would try that x but i am to lazy and i dont have any cds at the moment. I would rather just use redhat. I dont really plan on using it as a main os at the moment just gonna use good ol xp on my main pc. Just want linux to screw around on time to time and use it just incase my main pc takes a poop.

TittleBitties said:
lol...ummm yeah i got it to work but when i get to the part where i choose to pick the destination directory i click next and it says i dont have permission to install in /usr/lib/firefox.
Why are you running the installer again? All the necessary files have already been extracted, from what you said in your previous post. Just move them to /usr/lib/firefox using the steps I outlined above, and you're set.

If you want to run the installer again, you'll need to run that as root too, but like I said, there's no need to.

I would suggest that he give Ubuntu a look...its Debian-based and the apt package management system is very nice....just my 2 cents...:)

i will be running that soon when i get my 510 cds in the mail i order :)

net i misunderstood stuff and now i get what u ment. I was trying to put the installer in the directory. Derrrrrr me...thanks to everybody for the help and suggestions :)

hey i need a program that is like EVEREST but for linux. I need something so i can find out what motherboard and stuff i have.

give this a try:

dmesg :p

Uhm, as far as it getting all the versions of your HW and stuff? I dun know an app. phpSysInfo does it somehow, just dun know how.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back