Recurring BSOD halfway through windows bootup?

BlackScarletLove

I got a virus that shut my computer down in a few seconds after a dozen virus warnings. At that point I could not boot up my computer because halfway through the boot process there was a BSOD and it restarted. This happens in normal mode and all of the safe modes.

An interesting thing to note is that at one point safe mode actually worked, at which point i was able to remove the virus and boot back into normal mode. Everything was fine. All my programs worked, all my files were still there, nothing was damaged or missing. In the past I've had viruses wipe all my drives completely, but this time everything was intact, once I got into Windows that one time. All was fine for a day but then I shut down my computer thinking that everything was taken care of, and now I can't reboot it again -- the same bsod issue.

I'm not sure why or how I managed to boot it up that one time -- I didn't do anything special. I'm hesitant to reformat since I know that my windows and my files are all okay, it's just the bootup that's boned, and apparently I got past it once so I'd like to know if I could do it again.

Does anyone know what might be happening? I used the windows installation CD to do a chkdsk but that didn't solve the problem. There was also an option to repair the boot record or something like that, but I did not use it since I didn't know enough about what it does.

I am using Windows XP 32bit, with 4G ram, radeon hd 6850

Any help at all woudl be appreciated -- I really don't want to reformat, what a pain in the ass.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
Does last known good configuration work? (same menu as safe mode)

oh to hell with it, i tried rescue disks, i tried repairing boot structure, i tried repairing windows installation, i tried all sorts of crap for hours, and in the end i just reformatted... not losing anything important... just an inconvenience that's all. oh well. thx anyway.

Reformat is always the last resort, but in most cases it is the best thing to do.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back