Recommended Hard Drives

swog

OSNN Newbie
My current HDD is on its last legs and during my online search for a replacement i've encountered many negative reviews.If you can comment on the following drives :

Maxtor 40GB & 80GB came out the worsed many being broken on delivery and a lot only lasting 2 weeks after installation.From the UK they then must be sent to Germany for attention.
Western Digital Caviar 40 & 80GB were not as bad but still alot gave up the ghost after a few months,i heard they are also noisey.Returns have to go to Eire.
Seagate Barracuda 9 seem to be the most reliable and the quietest.
All these drives cost £40 - £50 mail order in the UK.

Well I like Seagates my self I own all of the above and had not troubles with any of them but , I do like the seagates above the others

Western Digital and Seagate get my vote

Had quite a few Western Digital 40's & 80's with NO problems to date.

Seagate, Maxtor, Western Digital, Hitachi (IBM)

thats my preference in order of preference. Nothing wriong with any of them just thats the order Ilook in when shopping :D

I've had Maxtor, Seagate and WD. Settled on Western Digital.
-The Seagates wore out.
-The Maxtor had master slave conflicts with a Seagate in the same machine (this was a long time ago and should not be an issue anymore).
-Never had a Western Digital fail or have an issue. All I buy now. They seem to be cheapest too.

I've had 3 IBM (now Hitatchi) and 1 WD fail on me. I now use Seagate drives. So far so good and quiet.

My next drive(s) will either be Seagate or Samsung.

Go for Western Digital Caviars (SE) they are excellent, i currently use an 80GB one in my server and it has never failed.

Had an IBM drive and it started to fail after 18 months of average use. Now got a seagate SATA 200GB drive. Very quiet.:)

thekore said:
Go for Western Digital Caviars (SE) they are excellent, i currently use an 80GB one in my server and it has never failed.
Good to hear as I have just ordered 2x250GB Caviar SE's :D

Other than those, my two drives I currently have are 2xHitachi/IBM's, 80GB + 120GB. The 120's been working for about 2 years in 2 different machines, and the 80 has been active for about a year. No problems with either.

i have 2 maxtor 250gig drivers, a 40 gig maxtor drive and a 120 gig maxtor drive and never had any problems.

I try to stick to WD's, but Seagate and (yes, odd choice) Samsung are pretty good too. The latter is particuarly quiet, from the experience I've had anyway.

they are all really good. WD caviars are nice budget ones and seagate barracudas are silent as cheddar cheese

Had seagate that failed... maxtor that failed.... IBM still running as perfect as it was when i first got it...

One thing i want to ask though, i'm planning on building a new box... and wondering what the difference is between a WD1200JB and a WD1200JD. Planning to get one of the two for it.

I believe the JB has a 8MB Cache and the JD has a 2MB Cache.

I've had every single one of those.
Here's my order of preference:
Seagate: Reliable, and great SATA drives.
Western Digital: Never had a problem very reliable, can be a little noisy but not bad.
Fujitsu: Good drive, very durable, and quiet.
Quantum (Before they were maxtorized): Good drive, reliable and quiet.
Maxtor: Quiet, Unreliable, and problematical.
(I owned a 20GB maxtor drive which would not support NTFS partitioning (Said Maxtor tech support, when windows 2000 professional would not install on it). Since then I don't like them.

At the moment it looks like the Seagates are just shading it from the WD.

I wonder just what these drives go through when we mail order them, some of them must have a rocky ride and this no doubt effects thier life span.

Go for any drive that has a manufactures warranty of three years with eight Meg of cache, spin speed of 7200 rpm and at least an ATA 100 enabled rive. SATA drives or ATA drives faster than this can be ignored until the bus can handle the speed. 160 gig drives can be picked up cheaply just about anywhere for less than £80. Hard drives (mechanical) are now in their terminal stage as memory prices continue to fall enabling RAM drives of the same capacity, but a factor of a decade faster.

:) :) :)

My 2 cents...

My Seagate 120 is so unbelievably quiet and cool.

Both my Quantum and Maxtor 60's are loud as hell.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back