Recommendations for a laptop

apu95

Caffeine-->Code Converter
Hey guys

im in the market for a new laptop. im gonna switch to computer science soon and im gonna need one for coding on the go and stuff (possibly linux as well).

the must haves are:
- light weight (i think 5 lbs max)
- wifi connectivity
- long battery life
- decent to high performance
- dvd-r (or +r)

ive been thinking of getting a Dell Inspiron 700m, but I've read that the battery life sucks for a laptop.

any suggestions?

thanks in advance
Apu

Apple PowerBook. ;) Check out Toshiba and Acer, I think. But seriously, don't be afraid of the Apple.

apu95 said:
Hey guys

ive been thinking of getting a Dell Inspiron 700m, but I've read that the battery life sucks for a laptop.

Apu

I have a 700m with extended battery, and although the battery sticks out the back a bit (I don't mind) it now lasts 5 hours on the road. has all the things you need dvd-r/+r, brillian display, light weight, wifi, 2 usb2 ports, firewire ...

I got the 3 year warranty upgrade, which should be fine for most of your university life (and will get old and slowafter 3 years anyway, right?)

good luck.

oh: and have a google search for 700m reviews, and you will find heaps of information.

I agree with Elroy. The 700m fits all the criteria you mentioned. Just select the 65WHr battery when you're ordering the machine, and you'll get 5 hours easily. :)

Here's a review I did for OSNN a few months ago with a few pictures of the machine:
http://www.osnn.net/articles.php?action=show&showarticle=101
I posted a link to the review on Neowin and several other members who have the machine (and those who ordered one after reading the review) had good things to say about it.

sweet...i was having doubts about the machine, i read on a review that the performance was way lower than other similarly configured laptops.
anyways, as for the chipsets for the wireless connectivity, which one should i go for? i dont mind either one, but i'd rather have the one that is the most compatible with linux (ideally to use in a live distro at first, and then in a full installed one).

thank a lot for the input guys

Apu

you might also want to consider the 600M

weighs a little more than the 700M but a bigger screen... 14.1" v/s 12.1"

also costs a little less

its still in the 5lb class and the battery life is pretty decent :cool:

the centrino setups are basically the chipset/processor/wireless tech all in one so any system with a centrino setup is just ace...

yeah, the 512 megs are a must...luckily, dell canada is offering a free upgrade to 1gb from the base 512 megs of ram anyways :p

i considered the 600m as well, but the small size of the 700m convinced me. im gonna need to be carrying books as well, and ideally i wanna carry this all in one bag (im gonna get a nice foam padded thingy for the laptop).

so as for the intel wireless, it'll work with linux?

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back