Recommend me a SATA

Mainframeguy

Debiant by way of Ubuntu
Right - I have just had so much grief with my Spinpoint 160 GB IDE drives that I am going to RMA one of them (the one that will not detect) and so I think I shall replace it with a SATA device to use the cable and give the technology a spin.

I am NOT going to be setting up any raid format - just getting one for now (and I know this means I do not get extra benefits - that is OK with me).

Would anyone here like to recommend to me a large format (120 plus GB) SATA drive that they like for operation and reliability - ideally with an 8MB or higher cache and proven compatibility with MSI Neo2 board!#

many thanks to anyone that replies

I have an MSI Neo (not Neo2) and two maxtor sata drives (120gB and 80gB) they both work great. I have no idea about the cache on these drives but I don't really care cuz they work great.

You do get extra benefits though: It's FAST! Much faster than IDE.

Maxtor 300GB 16meg cache 7200 RPM SATA, I know Komplett sell them, I believe OcUK do too.

RAID is pointless on a desktop pc.

i have an 80gb western digital sata and 3ide western digital (120gb, 40gb, 10gb) i dont fell a difference though with the sata, but it's because i dont do much work on it but it is faster than ide

nice choice lord - but I do not have that budget, so placed order with OCuk for a 200 GB seagate which is about half that price I think...

also had brain wave and shall try moving slave drive out of old rig to see if my new rig detects that on the IDE - will move my data files too when I 0wn them which is neat ;) :cool:

Nice choice going with the seagate. They are very nice and fast. Although I just don't like the fact that windows xp doesn't contain the SATA drivers in order to do a good clean install from the start, without editting the Win XP cd.

Have to say Seagate SATA's here they are whisper quiet and have the 5 years not 3 coverage.

So for me its Seagates

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back