Recommend me a graphics card

lancer said:
I doubt she would be pleased with you splashing your load on the pc, no doubt she'd prefer some for herself. :laugh::laugh::laugh:

I'm sooooo gonna get banned for my posts haha
:speechless:

I knew some dirty minded individual was going to fall for my little verbal trap :laugh: :lick: :nervous:

With that said, rather than go for a 6800, I'd go for a Galaxy 6600GT [525/1050].

If its any help, with my current setup, I got the following 3Dmark scores:

3DMark03 = 1089 :dead:
3DMark05 = 284 :dead::dead:

Checking other peoples scores who have a similiar setup but a 6600GT, I saw scores of 6500 and above for 3DMark03.

What if I upgraded the CPU to a 2800+ or 3000+ and the RAM from 512MB to 1GB?

Would that help the system lots or would the motherboard be hindering the potential of the new CPU and RAM?

I got the A7V333 practically when it first came out.

RAM can stay at 512mb as there isn't a real demand for more unless you're running like 3 applications at the same time.
If it's the fps on games that you're more concerned with, then look at the cpu and GPU.

The A7V333 MB is a dead end for upgrades. It only has 266 mhz FSB so support for a cpu much beyond XP2000 isn't there. The max speed 266mhz FSB processors are too much money for the small added capability.

Best bet for usable frame rates with minimum cost would be the 9800 PRO card or a 5900 Ultra. The 9600 family of cards will not cut it for Doom3.

Personally I do not like the reliability of the 5700-5900 family of nvidia stuff so that leaves the ATI 9800 PRO.

Yeah, my A7V333 is REV v1.02 so only supports 266MHz FSB unlike the REV 2.00 board which supports upto 333MHz FSB.

Last edited:
Eiji said:
Yeah, my A7V333 is REV v1.02 so only supports 266MHz FSB unlike the REV 2.00 board which supports upto 333MHz FSB.

That's kinda like me with my old Abit KT7A Raid. It was a rev 1.xx and it only supports up to the Athlon 1.4 GHz CPU. Now the Rev 2 is supposed to support the faster Athlons. That was one of the main reasons for my upgrade. I also went out and got it when they first came out. That's why this time I waited and my A8V Deluxe is a rev 2. The Rev 1 had problems. Also money limitations sends you in the wrong direction.

Hey, thought I'd piggyback on this thread coz it's directly related to what I want to ask and may help the author of this thread too.
I've picked out two cards here as an alternative to the Leadtek one that was removed recently from OcUK.
The first is a Gigabyte GV-N68T256TDH, and the second ASUS V9999GT/TD, both are 6800GTs.
http://www.overclockers.co.uk/acatalog/GeForce_6800_GT.html

Which of the two would you guys recommend as I want to order one as soon as my first exam finishes next week.

I would go with the BFG 6800GT OC. Lifetime warranty and is overclocked out the box.

But if you are really set on the two that you posted, I would go with the Asus card. Asus tends to tweak their cards also. Not like BFG, but they are quite good.

Would a 512MB stick of PC3200 DDR RAM mix well with 2 sticks of 256MB PC2700 RAM?

Eiji said:
Would a 512MB stick of PC3200 DDR RAM mix well with 2 sticks of 256MB PC2700 RAM?

You won't see the benefit in terms of speed as it'll run at the same speed at the slower ram.

Ming i've read a lot of very good reviews about the SUS V9999GT/TD, but i would still go with gigabyte, why simply because i use them a lot in all things both v/card and mobo. But either would be a great choice, instead just get the cheapest, you wont feel cheated.

lancer said:
Ming i've read a lot of very good reviews about the SUS V9999GT/TD, but i would still go with gigabyte, why simply because i use them a lot in all things both v/card and mobo. But either would be a great choice, instead just get the cheapest, you wont feel cheated.

That's the thing, I don't know which to go for. I've used Gigabyte mobos for years and know that they are top quality stuff. However, I'm not sure which of the two graphics cards would be the better choice as they both have the same spec.
This may sound silly, but the HSF on the gigabyte looks cool, especially with the heatpipes and the fan being on the top side. :yowch:

i know, then go buy the coolness brother da man has spoken peace out!:cool:

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back