Recommend me a CRT Monitor please

Eiji

OSNN Addict
Hi,

I am about to retire my 15" Hansol monitor (has problems) and I want another CRT monitor since they have such great black levels and are great for gaming.

I am looking for one which is 19" or 20" in size and has a great clear, vibrant and sharp image. I prefer monitors which are beige, white or silver build colour with black as last preference.

I'm in the United Kingdom if it helps :D

Can some hardware expert give me some recommendations and maybe clue me in on what I should look for ie break some jargon for me.

Thanks! :)

Well I have the NEC FB2141SB 22" and its awesome. I am not sure what your price range is, but NEC has some great lower models (19 - 20").

19"
http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=24-002-248&depa=0

22"
http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=24-002-040&depa=0

When looking at monitors, keep in mind the maximum resolution of course... but also the max refresh rate at that resolution. For example a good CRT will support 1600x1200 @ 75 hz or higher. Also look for a Low DOT pitch, something around .24mm and lower is good. You can save money by not getting bells and whistles such as USB ports built in, dual inputs... stuff like that.

I hope that helps, I am a NEC supporter as you can tell. But there are some other good manufacturers out there. Samsung has some good monitors but I feel their quality has gone down in the past couple years. Sony is another option, yet very expensive.

:D

Totally sarcastic here but if you want to come pick up a 3rd user monitor thats in need of some minor adjustment and repair you can have a Cornerstone Color 50/115 21" 1600x1200@85Hz for £40 from me :) (if itntersted you'll need to come collect from stratford, london) otherwise check out NEC/Mitsubishi's 22" which was looking into as an alternative to the Dell 2001FP which I went for in the end. (rather glad I did too)

I've got a 19" KDS Extreme Flat monitor and I love it. I want to get an LCD though, and if you were in the U.S. then I'd offer it to you for cheap. Aside from that, Aprox made some good recommendations concerning specs to look for. CRTs have come down so much in the last couple of years that you should be able to get a great one for a good price.

Well, I'm interested in the NEC 22" CRT now but I can't seem to find any UK online retailer which has it :yowch:

Searched via Google and also checked the official UK NEC/Mitsubishi site but the CRT section says "Currently there are no documents available" :squareeye

http://www.nec-mitsubishi.com/corem...ealm=Products__Choice,spec=x__uk__en,type=CRT

though the France site works fine:

http://www.nec-mitsubishi.com/corem...ification,spec=x__fr__fr,docId=61462,type=CRT

Another 22" I found was the Iiyama Vision Master Pro 514:

http://www.iiyama.co.uk/pages/content.asp?SID=&NAV=236&PROD=2310

I can't really say which is better, the Iiyama or the NEC.

IBM P260
There's a bunch going for like $140 from some trusted seller on Ebay. Great deal.

Oh yeah, and they are 21"

muzikool said:
I've got a 19" KDS Extreme Flat monitor and I love it. I want to get an LCD though, and if you were in the U.S. then I'd offer it to you for cheap. Aside from that, Aprox made some good recommendations concerning specs to look for. CRTs have come down so much in the last couple of years that you should be able to get a great one for a good price.
yup kds extreme flat - i have the 17'' version and its sweeeeeet

Well this 19" Iiyama has got me interested:

http://www.iiyama.co.uk/pages/content.asp?SID=&NAV=236&PROD=2248

Are the specs good and is there anything bad I should know about it.

I also eyed up this 19" NEC/Misubishi Diamond Pro 930SB:

http://www.eclipsecomputers.com/product.aspx?code=MON-PRO930SB&af=50
http://www.nec-mitsubishi.com/corem...ils__Main,spec=x__uk__uk,docId=33768,type=CRT

After thinking about it, I'm going to go for a 19" since I think 20"~22" is a little big for my workspace.

So its between the Iiyama or the NEC unless someone wants to add another good manufacturer to the fray :squareeye

Thanks.

I've had the Iiyama Vision Master Pro 452 for a few years now and I can't say much bad about it. When the Vision Master Pro 454 came out, it got rave reviews for just about everything about it, you won't go wrong with this one.

BTW The 454 was on PC Pro's A-List for about a year if I can remember.

Eiji said:
I also eyed up this 19" NEC/Misubishi Diamond Pro 930SB
I have a NEC MultiSync FE991sb and works great for me. :)

Samsung, SYncmaster, whatever size you want. Best quality for the money.

LeeJend said:
Samsung, SYncmaster, whatever size you want. Best quality for the money.

I really have to disagree here, sorry. I bought a syncmaster about 4 years ago and it was a great monitor. (Syncmaster 753df) it had a max rez of 1280x1024 @ 65 hz. I think it was 250 bucks or something. For the time it came out it was great.. and a decent price. My friend just purchased two of the newer syncmasters (9xx something) and Neither of them have even close to the quality of the one i used to have. The screen was blurry on both and they had major moire distortions. I told him he should send one of them back (it was really bad). We even tried moving the monitor around the house (thinking it was EMI from something nearby) and it didnt help. He could have gotten lemons... but from that experience it tells me that Samsungs quality has gone down. This is just mho....

Aprox said:
I really have to disagree here, sorry. I bought a syncmaster about 4 years ago and it was a great monitor. (Syncmaster 753df) it had a max rez of 1280x1024 @ 65 hz. I think it was 250 bucks or something. For the time it came out it was great.. and a decent price. My friend just purchased two of the newer syncmasters (9xx something) and Neither of them have even close to the quality of the one i used to have. The screen was blurry on both and they had major moire distortions. I told him he should send one of them back (it was really bad). We even tried moving the monitor around the house (thinking it was EMI from something nearby) and it didnt help. He could have gotten lemons... but from that experience it tells me that Samsungs quality has gone down. This is just mho....
Could have been lemons, or just bad monitor picks. :p Just like every brand not every model is going to be the best (thus multiple models) though none should have issues like you describe. Your best bet is to always research your choice before even considering the purchase.

muzikool said:

Have the same one, and my friends are ALWAYS complimenting on the picture.

Well i agree with lord regarding the NEC-Mitsubishi DiamondPro, i've had a few and they are great, not sure about the price, goto, www.insight.com, they have real good deals, ( i think).

I presently use a 17" Sony crt, and i love it, but hey its sony, what more do i need to say.

Viewsonic has great monitors. I have owned three (two I still use) and all have been excellent. I use at the present a Graphics Series GS790 (19") and an older 17" I don't remember that model number.

go here to see the Graphic Series ones: 19" black and 20" black

But you can also nav through the list of other monitors and then look 'em up at your nearest computer shop.

muzikool said:

how much?

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back